The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 09:48 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My winter spey rod project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
That's the best software I've seen so far
That's the ONLY software I've seen so far.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:57 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
That's the ONLY software I've seen so far.
Acidrodrries one called Pictoweave but it's not as user friendly. Importing images is easier with Visual Wrap
Old 02-29-2012, 10:26 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Acidrodrries one called Pictoweave but it's not as user friendly. Importing images is easier with Visual Wrap
I noticed a couple of things I didn't like about how the visual wrap does things though. (Based on the ad, never saw it person) In the fish image they upload, it takes the dark orange stripes in the fins and blasts them into scattered dots. It kind of blasts apart the black outline also. It pretty well scatters the black lines in the tail as well. Then there's the right lens of it's sunglasses. I would not have stepped it so drastically. It makes it look stepped and not as curved. It also lost the reflection on the right lens. Then there is the cost so if you don't do a pile of them, I'm not sure it would be worth the cost. I have done a pile of them, but started way before they invented the software, and being an old dog and all....
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:13 AM

auntrout will become famous soon enough

Thanks for posting the pictures Dan. Very informative. I always wondered how this was done.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:39 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I'm still rather confused, but also intrigued. I will continue to follow this

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
I'm still rather confused,
Only because I haven't got to the putting it on the rod part. Once you see that it will become clear.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great job Dan...this rod's going to be a masterpiece
Old 03-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
I just turned the ends of the top grip today. I did them as seperate pieces from the main grip because I didn't want to try drilling the hole in the center up to 3/8" with thin multi piece rings. I'm going to turn the whole grip on a 3/8" mandrel. I thought it would be safer this way. I took photos and step by stepped it. I'll post the photos tonight.
Well I'm a big fat liar. Completely spaced that part out. Here's making up for it:

First I glued up the checkered ends of the top gip alone on a 1/4" metal rod. In case I forgot to mention it, always wax the rod before you do it so you can get it back off the rod. I put a piece of aluminum foil as break between the two end to keep from accidentally glueing them together.
Then I turned them on a drill press. In case they are a bit off center when you start, use a hard flat object first like a file of board with sand paper glued to it to get the rings centered on the rod. Hold the file or tool of choice steady so it knocks the high parts off and misses the low spots. Only go deep enough to get them centered. A file will pull tiny bits of cork out and you have to sand down deeper to get the pits out. If you go to far with the file, you may have to go thinner than you planned to get it smooth.
Then I removed them from the 1/4" rod. Then I drilled the 1/4" holes to 3/8" to fit the mandrel for my lathe.
I glued it on the mandrel making sure it was waxed and nothing hit the threaded portions that had glue on them.
this next photo is already posted but it fits here. The finished top grip.

I did the grips on my Meiser the same way, but since they have wood ends and cork is so much softer you need to do it in sections with the softest last to bet it to come out right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
Great job Dan...this rod's going to be a masterpiece
Thanks JP. I can't wait till I can use it.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:47 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I noticed a couple of things I didn't like about how the visual wrap does things though. (Based on the ad, never saw it person) In the fish image they upload, it takes the dark orange stripes in the fins and blasts them into scattered dots. It kind of blasts apart the black outline also. It pretty well scatters the black lines in the tail as well. Then there's the right lens of it's sunglasses. I would not have stepped it so drastically. It makes it look stepped and not as curved. It also lost the reflection on the right lens. Then there is the cost so if you don't do a pile of them, I'm not sure it would be worth the cost. I have done a pile of them, but started way before they invented the software, and being an old dog and all....
Your looking at it from a pencil and paper perspective. When you pixelize an image lines that looked solid actually aren't. You can modify the image with a few clicks of the mouse. Take out colors, add colors, and increase or decrease thread count. The software tracks your changes and adjusts the left count list. I started out weaving patterens I was given, then an old salt showed me the method you just outlined. I did two designed that way then bought the software as soon as I realized it existed!

---------- Post added at 07:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
I'm still rather confused, but also intrigued. I will continue to follow this
I'll let the tension build. Once Dan lays the horizontals on the wheel you'll see how disturbing a 76 thread weave actually is

Last edited by swirlchaser; 03-02-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:58 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really getting into this . Like reading a good book can't wait to turn the page. This weave has me intrigued. Hope you keep posting at regular intervals. Thanks Dan
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser