Originally Posted by Diver Dan
I just turned the ends of the top grip today. I did them as seperate pieces from the main grip because I didn't want to try drilling the hole in the center up to 3/8" with thin multi piece rings. I'm going to turn the whole grip on a 3/8" mandrel. I thought it would be safer this way. I took photos and step by stepped it. I'll post the photos tonight.
Well I'm a big fat liar.
Completely spaced that part out. Here's making up for it:
First I glued up the checkered ends of the top gip alone on a 1/4" metal rod. In case I forgot to mention it, always wax the rod before you do it so you can get it back off the rod. I put a piece of aluminum foil as break between the two end to keep from accidentally glueing them together.
Then I turned them on a drill press. In case they are a bit off center when you start, use a hard flat object first like a file of board with sand paper glued to it to get the rings centered on the rod. Hold the file or tool of choice steady so it knocks the high parts off and misses the low spots. Only go deep enough to get them centered. A file will pull tiny bits of cork out and you have to sand down deeper to get the pits out. If you go to far with the file, you may have to go thinner than you planned to get it smooth.
Then I removed them from the 1/4" rod. Then I drilled the 1/4" holes to 3/8" to fit the mandrel for my lathe.
I glued it on the mandrel making sure it was waxed and nothing hit the threaded portions that had glue on them.
this next photo is already posted but it fits here. The finished top grip.
I did the grips on my Meiser the same way, but since they have wood ends and cork is so much softer you need to do it in sections with the softest last to bet it to come out right.
Originally Posted by jpbfly
Great job Dan...this rod's going to be a masterpiece
Thanks JP. I can't wait till I can use it.