The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 09:30 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My winter spey rod project.

I used to get them from Merrick Tackle but they don't do retail. I think I got some from feather craft, they were in 8 pt. Helvetica which in white matches St. Croix's label pretty well. You can stick a "Custom made for Blah H. Bahblah" "By Whoever P. Whatshisname" and it looks like it came from St. Croix like that. I had a bunch of Gold Helvetica that matched G. Loomis really well but they don't do blanks anymore. I like this big commercial script. It has almost the same exact style as the Thomas and Thomas label. It's silver on this rod. I used silver on my Meiser. I'd try looking around at office supplies. Chartpak made all the ones I use. I like it. My hand writting is not good enough to free hand paint and a fine pen tip. I tried it and don't like it. This has the advantage that if you goof, you can remove the letter. I also should have mentioned I clean the blank where the letters go with alcohol before doing the letters. I'll look and see if I can find a source for them.
Auntie Em and brian miville like this.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:07 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Merrick stilll has them in gold. Not the silver which I used.
brian miville likes this.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:22 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Man I waited a year to see this but well worth it! What a stick! And the feather as well as the bird it came from ...outstanding! One thing left to do , enough said ! Great job Dan!!

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

I remember the day when I could walk in the front door of Merrick Tackle and get what I needed! That building is a huge deli now!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-10-2013, 07:49 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Incredible rod. I somehow missed the thread last year so am glad to see the updates and read through the previous posts. Thanks for posting all the pictures and descriptions, very informative.

By the way, I know the Feather Emporium carries Impeyan Pheasant feathers, in case you need them again. Not sure if they have the exact ones you wanted but they have some good feathers.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:07 PM
Banned

That's good to know because it was a major pain in the butt getting these.

It might be worth noting again for anyone wanting to use them in an inlay, like most 'metallic' looking feathers, these change color in the inlay, They went from royal blue fading into a purply black to a metallic green that changes to a coppery green in the tip when you move it in the light.

On monday I am going to make a call to Chartpak and find out where they have some of these letter sheets at.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:41 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I've only done a few inlays and haven't tried your technique but I've never gotten iridescent or metallic tones on feathers to come through very well. Thanks again for the descriptions, I might have to try cutting some cork down the road.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
I've never gotten iridescent or metallic tones on feathers to come through very well.
I think if you do them the traditional way, it rubs down the barbules in a way that kills the metallic and irridescent properties of a feather. I still get the 3-D effect in the Peacock Pheasant feather eyes doing it my alternative method. That's not why I came up with the new way thought. I did it to stop the distortion you get. It oblongs the heck out of the eyes if you do it the traditional way.