The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 12:38 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Butt wraps on a fly rod

Hey guys,

I've been building rods since I'm a teenager but sort of lost interest about 7 years ago. This was right about the time I started flyfishing and tying so I've never built a fly rod. I just got my hands on a 10' 5wt blank and dusted off my power wrapper. My question is this, will a decorative butt wrap significantly change the weight and balance of the rod? In the past 18-20" butt wraps and weaves were the norm for me on big saltwater rods but I'm not dealing with a 1" diameter blank here so I'm wondering if it will hurt the rod.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Butt wraps on a fly rod

Hi Marco,

I don't have any rods with decorative wraps but highly doubt that there will be any noticeable affect in weight or anything else.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've done butt wraps on a few fly rods. It does not make the slightest bit of difference in the balance or action as far as I can tell. It's not a very traditional fly rod look but if that's what you want I'd say go for it. That's what makes a custom rod custom. Just don't use lead core line to do the butt wrap and you'll be fine. You may also want to consider doing a feather inlay. It's a more traditional looking fly rod bit of art. They are also easier to do, and a heck of a lot faster. I'm going to be doing one on my spey rod I'm building and will post a step by step as I do it.

I should mention that the traditional method of doing a feather inlay does not work very well with feathers that have 'eyes'. It tends to take the round eyes and make them horribly oblong. I have a second method for those that does not distort the eye. I am going to include Grey Peacock Pheasant feathers that have a really beautiful eye on the ends, in my feather inlay so you can see both methods.

Last edited by Guest1; 02-09-2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: A tiny spelling fix
Old 02-09-2012, 05:26 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys,

I've done a few feather inlays on conventional rods but it's been a while since I've tortured myself doing a 30hr closed wrap. Not too much space to work on a flyrod so I'm looking for a pattern that will look good on a small scale. Maybe the itch will pass before I actually start this.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:06 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Butt wraps look ok on saltwater or spinning, baitcasting rods. Kind of like a B-17 Flying Fortress. A fly rod is a more like a F16. Feather inlays for a fly rod. Keep it sleek.
That's my opinion only. It's your rod, give it your personality.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:17 PM

I think you. guys are right. I measured the blank twice and don't see how I'm going to fit a full wrap on it. I guess I'll have to build another B17 when I'm done with the flyrod.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Thanks guys,

I've done a few feather inlays on conventional rods but it's been a while since I've tortured myself doing a 30hr closed wrap. Not too much space to work on a flyrod so I'm looking for a pattern that will look good on a small scale. Maybe the itch will pass before I actually start this.
I have the best thread wrap book ever made. PM me your address and phone number. We can come up with a few ideas and then I'll mail you the patterns.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I think Dan's offer sounds great, something tells me not to goggle Butt Wrap

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-10-2012, 10:03 AM

PM sent. Was looking at some older wraps, you can see by the date on the first pic how rusty I am lol. I don't see anything that will scale down enough to fit a butt of a 5wt fly rod. Hopefully you have some smaller patterns. The visible face of the blank is smaller than most of the boxes these wraps started with! The St. Johns Cross may work if I do a 0 and 180 wrap only. I think adding a 90 and 270 it would close too fast no?

Click the image to open in full size.
This one isn't mine but it might work

Last edited by swirlchaser; 02-10-2012 at 11:12 AM.