The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 04:51 PM

vamtnbiker is on a distinguished road
Default Another guy making birchbark grips

I am new to the forum though I've been lurking for some time. I love seeing and reading about everyone's experiences in flyfishing. I have been building rods for some time and last week made my first grip from birchbark. The caps are padauk and the black rings are burnt cork. The blank is a Lamiglas fiberglass, 6' 3 wt.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:00 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another guy making birchbark grips

Wow, very nicely done! I'll bet your going to have fun stalking trout on small mountain streams with that beauty.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Welcome to the forum & I will echo Larry on the rod.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum and I have to say WOW! Very nicely done. That Tiger Stripe Maple rod case is a pretty piece of work also. Hope to see more from you. Again, welcome to the forum.
Dan
Old 02-16-2012, 06:58 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

My goodness that is a beautiful rod! Welcome to the forum and already looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Dave
Old 02-16-2012, 08:37 PM

Thanks folks, for the kind comments. I do indeed hope to catch some brookies in the Shenandoah creeks with the rod. Best to you all.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:04 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

wow!! what a beauty i too love the tube.
enjoy it

casey

ARFE
Old 02-17-2012, 09:08 PM

Thanks Casey,

I have made a few hexagonal rod cases, but have yet to figure out a good way to keep the cap on. As it is, the cap (Arizona mesquite) was turned in the lathe to create a tenon that fits snugly inside. It seems secure, but I think it would come loose were I to travel with it. I need to pick a few brains to come up with a good solution.

Cheers
Old 02-18-2012, 11:19 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum!

Great looking grip on that rod of yours.

Pocono
Old 02-18-2012, 01:30 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Wonderful grip and rod!! You'd certainly be welcome to ship it out to me, if you think it would like a chance at some Wyoming mountain stream brookies!!!