The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 10:12 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all
Default Does Orvis sell its rod blanks?

My guess is that they do not. If not, how is it that I see guys selling HELIOS and SUPERFINE TOUCH rods on ebay and when asked they tell me they made the rod? I just saw a guy posting images of a superfine touch he was building...it even had the Orvis logo on it.

And if they do..would any of you buy one of those rods?
Old 03-04-2012, 10:29 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Does Orvis sell its rod blanks?

Mudhole sells Orvis blanks but I don't think Orvis sells them directly from their catalog.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:40 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Thanks. I had no idea. Kinda makes you wonder why anyone (guilty) would buy a rod completely built from Orvis. I'm not a rod builder so I'm assuming there must be something that the Orvis folks do better than a consumer rod builder?
Old 03-05-2012, 09:39 AM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

Orvis, Sage, Winston, T&T all sell blanks. I build rods, and am not convinced (other than artistic reasons, and component differences) that custom builders can build them any better. Many will disagree, but thats how I feel.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:55 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Orivs and the other rod companies charge what they charge because they are doing the work and you are paying for that convenience. If you were to build only one rod the cost really isn't all that far apart. Factor in the time spent prepping and assembling you have basically spent the same ammount.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Orivs and the other rod companies charge what they charge because they are doing the work and you are paying for that convenience. If you were to build only one rod the cost really isn't all that far apart. Factor in the time spent prepping and assembling you have basically spent the same ammount.
I agree but then there is also the satisfaction and pride in something you built yourself and maybe personalized in a way that you can't buy off the self. It's kind of like tying your own flies, you probably can't do it any better than the pros can but there certainly is a lot of pride in landing fish with something you made.
wt bash, shotgunfly and codyrug like this.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:42 PM

OK that all makes sense. I guess you're also paying for the 25yr warranty that goes with some of their rods at a certain price point.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:26 PM

I'll second what Mcnerny said and if you like tinkering its pretty darn fun!!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:03 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Call or email the Orvis rod shop. Last year I asked about a older superfine model blank and he told me they'll roll anything for you since they still have mandrels.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegboy1 View Post
Orvis, Sage, Winston, T&T all sell blanks. I build rods, and am not convinced (other than artistic reasons, and component differences) that custom builders can build them any better. Many will disagree, but thats how I feel.
I agree to a point. Many big builders because of the way guys buy rods, (pick it up, wiggle it then eye down it) build them on straightest visual line instead of the spine. I think many factory rods that break can be traced right back to that practice, although modern materials have reduced that problem somewhat. Then there is the arbors in the seats. I have seen busted factory rods and cut them up to see how they did it. I have seen wound twine arbors, tape arbors which may not be all that bad, cardboard arbors and one that was an unIDable wad of glued up .....snot. Then there are things like the feet on the guides. How much attention do they pay to things like spurs on the rod side as an artifact of grinding the feet? They sure aren't going to spend the money it takes to get quality cork, especially when you can get fill now days that will take cork that whistles like a wiffle ball and make it look like flor grade cork. At least till you get it wet a few times. You sure can't get a factory to spend the time to put feather inlays or weaves on your rod. As you have seen right here on this site there are guys who bust rods as a hobby and expect a free one every time they do it, and generally get them. This cuts down the time they can spend on one and the quality they can produce them. It's not just the cost of making that rod but the cost of the give me crowd busting them up. But other than that I agree. By the way, I don't know if they still do it, but Sage was a straightest visual line builder 9 or 10 years ago when I looked at them. One of a few reasons that to this day I still don't like Sage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Call or email the Orvis rod shop. Last year I asked about a older superfine model blank and he told me they'll roll anything for you since they still have mandrels.
Thomas and Thomas told me the same thing. I'm having them roll me a 17' 11wt. I think any of the best US rolled blank makers will be able to do that for you. Like Winston, Orvis, Thomas and Thomas, etc.