The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 09:13 PM

dsmith1427 is on a distinguished road
Default First time builder looking for guidance

I want to build my own rod and after a lot of research and YouTube videos, I feel confident. I want to build a 3 wt, preferably 4 pc, rod for small stream trout fishing in my area. I put together spread sheets comparing components and I find the range for rod blanks varies significantly as shown below:

Sevier tiger eye 7' 3/4 weight the price was $35.50
TFO Finesse Series 7'9" 3 weight 4 pcs $89.95
St. Croix SCII 7'0" 3 weight 2 pcs $110.00

I am a believer you get what you pay for and am a little skeptical of the tiger eye. Anybody want to weigh in on these rods? Is there a significant difference bewteen the three? Any other recommendations? Input is appreciated. Thanks.

Don
Old 03-05-2012, 10:27 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First time builder looking for guidance

I built a tiger eye 3/4 7'6" 4 Pc and love it. However I found it cast better with a 4 wt line... it's my favorite trout rod for small streams. Really do love it. Built my sister in law a 4/5 and it casts really well too. I heard on the rod building forum that the owner had some health issues recently and there were delays, but he's back. Maybe give a call to be sure they are in stock.

Also Check out Dorber group's blanks. I've heard good things about them. I've build some Batson rx6 rods and liked them, though 5wt is the lightest I've done. However I like my tiger eye better

By the way, recently moved to Denver from Ann Arbor, worked up in Royal Oak, so I smiled when I saw you are from Grosser Points Farms. You hit stockerfest up in Milford?
Old 03-06-2012, 07:07 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

If I recall, Auntie Em has built numerous rods on Tiger Eye blanks. And she likes them. I trust her judgement.
And speaking of Dorber, what ever happened to the "Rod" that was going to change the face of fly fishing- the Ultra Wave. But that's another thread.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:08 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Thank you, mojo! I do, indeed, love the tiger eye blanks I've built! Only one problem I've ever had with them ... they are incredibly beautiful in the sun light! Have a tendency to be watching the rod rather than the line when I'm fishing (yes, with a silly grin on my face!).
Old 03-06-2012, 09:23 PM

Thanks all for your input. I will do some more checking into the tiger eye blanks tomorrow.

William,
I lived in NW part of Royal Oak for about 10 years before moving to GP. Never been to stockerfeast. I herd a lot about it but I tend to shy from the crowds.

Don
Old 03-07-2012, 07:50 AM

I was watching a flyrod fanatic Youtube video on finding the belly (and spine) of the blank. According to the video, the eyes and reel get aligned along the belly of the rod. So, I tried finding the belly with my St. Croix fly rod that I bought in the 90s and it appears the eyes are on the spine and not the belly. I read on other sites where the eyes and reel could be located on the spine or belly. I can see where the eyes would add mor rigidity but would it be enough to change the structure of the rod to swap the spine and belly? What are the advantages/disadvantages, if any, of aligning the reel and eyes along the belly versus the spine? Thanks.

Don
Old 03-08-2012, 01:33 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a rod builder and I don't know what this belly stuff you speak of is. Unless you are talking about the curve virtually all blanks have. In that case if you build on what's called straightest visual line, and I don't, then you make the blank curve up and put the guides on the bottom of the curve. It has the effect of letting gravity pull the curve out straight and make the guy who picks it up, wiggles it and then eyes down it think it's straight. The other way to do it, is build it on the spine. The best and easiest way to do it is with multi pc. rods, take each piece and put it between two rod stands with very little overlap on the ends, push down in the center and feel where it wants to rest bent. You will feel it. It's easier if the rod stands have wheels for the ends of the rod. Mark the inside of the curve. Do it for each piece and then once you have the handle parts reamed to fit, slip them on, unglued. Put the blank pcs. together. Placing your thumb in the center of the blank and holding the tip, see how it feels like it wants to stop in being bent. If it is not where your marks are on the bottom start over, you goofed.

Unless a blank is perfect, and I have seen only three, it will have a spine. It's the only direction it will bend without wanting to twist. Forget the belly thing.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:07 AM

mtbrider405 has a spectacular aura aboutmtbrider405 has a spectacular aura about

Another vote for Tiger Eye! I have built 3, one of which is that 7'6" 3/4 and I LOVE that rod! And, I have 2 more TE blanks waiting to be built including another 7'6" 3/4.

Simply put, they are unbeatable for the money in terms of cast-ability and looks.

-Jason
Old 04-10-2012, 08:30 PM

I built a Xa blank from Allen Fly Fishing but I am going to build another one. I had a hard time getting through to place the order. However, I am planning to build another rod, 4/5 wt, and want to use a Tiger Eye. Thanks for the input.

Don
Old 04-10-2012, 09:27 PM

baitwaister will become famous soon enough

I have built many rods for customers on sevier blanks and fish a few myself. I find them very nice blanks for the money and quite competitive with much costlier blanks. I have found through CCS testing and my own personal casting that they tend to work better with the higher line rating of two(4/5 casts better with a 5).