The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 10:17 AM

mtbrider405 has a spectacular aura aboutmtbrider405 has a spectacular aura about
Default Latest Rod Build for Friend - 7'9" 3wt RX7 w/ Birch Bark Grip

Well here she is! My latest build for a friend of mine in CO.

He wanted something for small stream and creek fishing so I went with this beautiful green 7'9" 3wt RX7 blank from Batson. Of course I did a birch bark grip for him. I am truly in love with that look and don't see myself building rods without them. It take a LOT of extra time compared to cork but I just love the way they turn out.

I have to say I LOVE Batson blanks. This was my first build on one and the RX7 will most likely become my go to blank from here on out. Very smooth and crisp casting, very well made, and looks amazing!

I did a rosewood UL3 seat, black single foot guides wrapped with dark green main wraps and metallic silver tipping.

Please let me know what you all think! I would love the feedback, good or constructive

-Jason

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:36 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Latest Rod Build for Friend - 7'9" 3wt RX7 w/ Birch Bark Grip

Wish I had friends like you.

Those handles are totally unique.
Fred
Old 04-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Jason,

You already know how I feel about your craftsmanship; although it's hard to believe, I think you're getting better! Your final plateau will be to figure out how to make the reel seat insert of birch bark, it's the only improvement I can bring to mind.

Beautiful,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-10-2012, 10:52 AM

mtbrider405 has a spectacular aura aboutmtbrider405 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks guys!

Ard, you crack me up. The thought never crossed my mind to do the seat out of BB. Of course now that's all I can think about

Jason
Old 04-10-2012, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That's part of my role here, to be a funny guy. You know, if Henry would have said 'you crack me up' to Tommy in Goodfella's he could have avoided that whole scene in the nightclub

Reel seat inserts

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;