The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 11:07 PM

Davec921 has a spectacular aura aboutDavec921 has a spectacular aura aboutDavec921 has a spectacular aura about
Default Just bought my first Blank

Yep as the title says I just bought my first blank today.
It is A IM6, 9FT, 2WT, 4PC, FLY ROD BLANK, GRAY with TWO TIPS.
I love to fish for bluegill and I thought this would be a great rod to chase them with. I bought the rod blank off of eBay including shipping for 29.01.

I don't believe I have ever seen a rod other then a boo rod that had an extra tip. But I think that will be a good thing for me because I tend to break things to easy.
As soon as I get the rod here on post Ill take some pics an post them. I all so plan on taking pics as I build the rod. WARNING!!!!! This is my first rod that I will be building. All so It will be awhile before I get it done.
I have leafed through all the threads a few times on building a rod an I plan on asking a lot of questions.

The main thing for me is money so I will be trying to get the best parts an pieces I can buy at the lowest price. Being a SPC in the army does not pay much. As to that if anyone has any input on were to find good quality an cheap parts I would greatly appreciate that.
And if any ones as some extra parts they want to sell that would be awesome as well.

So as of now Im just waiting on the blank to get here. Then Ill figure out what I will need from there.
Later
DAVE
Old 04-18-2012, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Just bought my first Blank

Hi Dave,

We have a bunch of good rod smiths here so you'll have all the help you need. This sounds like a nice blank set at a great price! I will watch for your posts and if you ask and don't get answers quick I'll tell you what I might know.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-18-2012, 11:30 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats! I think you'll enjoy the build process (hopefully, despite the frustrating moments) and the feeling of fishing with a rod you built.

As for finding cheap parts, I've gotten some nice, functional reel seats off ebay for $15 or less, some from the Roger guy who sells blanks as well as from Angler's Roost. Other than that, shop around a bit - JS Stockard and acidrod are two I use. Add your parts to the shopping cart and compare totals. Another one is Utmost enterprises, they offer discounts on some items and charge real shipping rather than set rates. Shipping is one thing that can get you, if you order a couple parts here and there.

Some other advice, if you use a black rubber winding check, order one or two larger and smaller than what you think you need. They are dirt cheap and if the measurement was off you'll be glad to not have to order another one and pay shipping again. Most of the parts are cheap - guides, winding check, a couple spools of thread, hook-keeper. I buy cork rings and make my own grip, but you can buy them. I don't use special reamers to widen the opening in the grip, just use my drill carefully. I built my own wrapping jig for the price of a little lumber and screws and bought a cheap 22rpm motor and built a drying stand.

Buy razors from a home improvement store, they're cheap. After that it's epoxy and finish with mixing cups and brushes. Don't get the minimum you need of these items. You want the freedom to mix up more if it's starting to set before you're done or if you need to add another thin coat. It might cost a bit more initially but it's better than having a rod with poorly finished wraps.

Hope that helps. Definitely ask questions!
Old 04-19-2012, 07:00 AM

Davec921 has a spectacular aura aboutDavec921 has a spectacular aura aboutDavec921 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the reply's Ard an William.
That is a good tip on comparing prices with everything in the cart.
I have a friend up in Springfield Mo that has some power tools an a mini latch for making Pens. So if I don't buy a grip I might try making one myself.

Yea I am very excited to build this rod. And I plan on taking plenty of pics along the way.

DAVE
Old 04-19-2012, 01:57 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone is going to cry foul, but I nearly always use the black graphite spin rod reel seats on my rods. They're tough, very light weight, and even the highest quality, like a Fugi, is only like 5 bucks.
I haven't gone as far as too build a rod with a synthetic grip yet but I'm leaning that direction
Old 04-19-2012, 04:29 PM

Thanks for the info Riptide.
I have seen the synthetic handle on eBay an was wondering about them.
If I went that route I think it would only be to add some color in to the grip like Dan has done.

DAVE
Old 04-24-2012, 08:05 PM

Well the rod blank showed up at my house today.
Overall I have to say it looks nice. Its a light gray color.
Ill get pics up as soon as I can.

The only down side is only one of the two tips work.
The second tip does not fit over the next section.
I have sent an email to the seller on ebay.
Hope to get a response soon.
I really cant be to mad because It seems like it will
make a really nice bluegill rod for the price.
Later
DAVE
Old 04-24-2012, 08:32 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dave: At that price I wouldn't worry too much about the second tip. I can't wait to see how the build progresses, good luck. Thanks for serving in the Army, your much appreciated for stepping up and doing what you do!

Old 04-24-2012, 09:53 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Hi Dave--

First off, enjoy the build! Don't rush anything and take your time.

Second, you may want to check out Al Campbell's rodbuilding SBS Fly Angler's OnLine "Build Your Own Graphite Rod".

Third, (I know I'm repeating myself) enjoy the process! Rod building is fun on its own, and then you catch fish on them!
Old 04-25-2012, 09:37 PM

Well I got a response today from the seller. He said to ship it back for exchange.
I asked if he would cover the return shipping.
He said to ship it UPS an let him know how much an he would refund me that amount to my PayPal account.

So noe I cant wait for the weekend to get here to get the rod shipped back out.
later
DAVE