The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 07:53 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Rod Blank Dumb Question

Just out of curiosity, is there a standard size for rod blank diameter (butt and tip top). for example, a standard 3/4 rod blank has a butt diameter of X and a tip diameter of Y

I ask because I have the parts to build a fly rod, minus the grip and blank, these were taken off an old fly rod which I believe was a 3 wt.

the reel seat has an inside diameter of 9/16 (measured with inside calipers) and I was thinking about buying a blank and grip and building a rod, since I have all the other parts I just want to know what my options are in terms o frod blank diameters so I can decide what size to get as I don't want to buy a blank and find out the reel seat or tip top wont fit i.e. the inside diameter of the reel seat is too small.

Thanks

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rod Blank Dumb Question

Web,
To my knowledge there is no "standard". Variance from one company to the next, material differences, yada, yada, yada.....

Do you know who produced it? If not, maybe post some pics and I bet someone around here might have an idea of what it is and then you might be able to search it our from there.

Good luck on your quest.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-22-2012, 05:57 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Thanks John, I did find the info about tiger eye blanks, and thier sizes, so it looks like I am going to have to wrap the blank with tape to get everything snug once I start building.

I am still putting together the tools (rod turning motor), and gathering the othat materials I need - Thread, epoxy, finish, etc.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

Old 04-22-2012, 07:07 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

If you're building the same length/weight rod, unless the reel seat fit the old blank perfectly, I'd think you'd have some wiggle room. Like you mentioned, just use some tape to make up the difference. Now for the tip-top, who knows if it will be the same. Tip tops tend to be dirt cheap, shipping costs will be the most annoying. If you order your blank from a place that sells tiptops just order one for the blank, if you get a tiger eye from Sevier, then order it the tip top with your thread, winding check, etc, or some other fishing/tying materials.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:53 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
Just out of curiosity, is there a standard size for rod blank diameter (butt and tip top).
Thanks

d
Not even close. They are all over the map on that one. As far as reel seats and grips you generally have to ream them out to fit anyway. I'll tell you what, the easiest way to do this is I'll PM you my phone number and we can get everything you need to figure out taken care of.

Dan
Old 04-25-2012, 08:05 AM

Thanks William and Dan, I have everything taken apart off the old rod, could not get the cork grip off, but, didn't figure I would be able to when I started. Once I get into this I will let you know. I currently have so many projects I am not sure when I will get to this one, but, I have tied my own flies, leaders, etc, and a rod seems like the next natural progression.

d