The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 10:06 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rebuild?

Though it is possible to rebuild such a rod, there are some questions you need to answer:
1. Is it worth it to you in time and money?
2. Are you sentimental about your first rod such that if you ended up damaging the blank you'd regret doing it.

I think you're the only one who can answer those questions, but rebuilding is a good way to learn about rod building and I find fishing something I've built feels pretty good.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:50 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Going from all the replies & to save your time/money why not just Build a Complete new Rod for your Upgrade,you will always have "The Old Rod",also there's every possability you could damage it in The Stripping Down Process if you haven't done it before,plus you will have a new Rod you have made to your specs.
I as well as the others would rather have a new Rod in preference to a Re-Furbished one,I suppose it's like Bricking around an Old House,The Outside looks good however The inside is still OLD.
It's your call,Good Luck.
Brian.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:16 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

It's real easy to switch out a reel seat as long as they're about the same size
The grip though, not so much.
You can cut the foam off easy enough but to get the cork to fit tight, it needs to slide on from the skinny end. If its a two piece rod, that 2-3 guides plus the hook keeper and any decorative wraps that will need to come off and then put back on after the grip is in place.
Personally, when I do a project like this, I avoid messing with the grip unless I have to.

I recently stripped a rod to the blank and completely rebuilt it. Of course I like the rod much better this way, but it was double the work of building a new one. And it was a cheap rod to begin with.
Still, the rod was unusable as it was and I wasn't about to throw it out.
It was worth it to me.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:41 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

If I was to build a rod, do i need to buy one of those rod spinners for wrapping? Ive been considering doing one, maybe not a high end though.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:47 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

No, you just need something to keep tension on the tread.
There's plenty on DIY contraptions that you can find on the Web.
I've done it just by setting the thread spool on the chair and running the thread under my leg.