The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 09:55 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice
Default rebuild?

is it possible to rebuild a rod? actually strip off the guides, remove the reel seat and grip?
Old 05-04-2012, 11:47 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rebuild?

Yes it is. It's some work though. I've stripped guides. Warm the finish a bit with a hair dryer or something then use a straight razor to cut the finish and thread on top of the guide foot. Once cut nearly all, if not all, the finish should come off the blank. Sometimes you need to get some remnants off. Just be careful and slow so you don't damage the blank cosmetically or structurally.

As for the reel seat, if you put it in a plastic bag and dunk it in boiling water you can loosen the epoxy - don't leave it really long and don't touch the metal components with your hands . For the grip, I've never done it personally. You could cut most of it off without being too close to the blank, then use the heat method to soften the epoxy? Perhaps others will weigh in.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:54 PM

txshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura about

I've done a couple. Just cut everything off and start over.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:16 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

I'd suggest making sure the rod/blank is going to be worth the time and money and materials you'll be expending! If it's just a run of the mill rod, you'll not want to use top of the line guides, grip and reel seat. If you use that particular rod as a learning experience, the adventure will be priceless.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:08 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

As Auntie Emm,who really helped my to purchase Gear for Rod Building which I've only half Finished for one reason or another mentioned is it worth Rebuilding,even for sentimental reasons,it might be better to do a complete new re-build as there are some well priced components & quality Blanks about as well as all the help you need in The Rod Building Section.
Brian.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:59 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

Its my first rod, and the rod looks nice except for the crappy foam handle and plastic reel seat. I was just thinking that when i upgrade, maybe i could strip it down and rebuild it. One to make it look nicer, and two to practice rod building to see if it something i may be interested in.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:01 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I figure it's always good to give it a try
Old 05-06-2012, 07:23 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnflyfish View Post
Its my first rod, and the rod looks nice except for the crappy foam handle and plastic reel seat. I was just thinking that when i upgrade, maybe i could strip it down and rebuild it. One to make it look nicer, and two to practice rod building to see if it something i may be interested in.
I have a couple of Old Rods which I imagine look similiar with all the components yours have,I use them sometimes however I'll leave them as they are,as over many years I have caught heaps of Fish on them & they still work good..
As I mentioned if you need help go to The Rod Building Section as there's heaps of info,Auntie Emm,Joni,Dan & many more are the best.
Brian
Old 05-08-2012, 11:30 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Mn ... if it is your FIRST rod build ... leave it alone (the finish, I mean). It was your first, and there'll never be another first-first! Keep it like it is, fish the daylights out of it, smile when you use it, KNOWING it's your first build, and be proud! On your next build, make the changes you'd like to use.

I see all kinds of things in my first rod, but I'm proud I took that first step all those many years ago! And just between you and me ... I still see little things I want to change, on my "next" rod!
Auntie Em
Old 05-08-2012, 08:52 PM

Its not MY build, but a possible rebuild on my first cheap flyrod. i like the looks of the rod as far as finish, HATE the foam handle and plastic reel seat. would really like to change that out but only after i upgrade to a different rod.