The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By williamhj
  • 1 Post By Auntie Em

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 09:12 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Latest build 2wt

Just finished a 7' 2wt build. It's a Sevier blank, a nice tiger-eye brown. I used simple olive wraps with snake guides. I got a nice maple reel seat from David Winslow and made my first rattan grip to finished it off with jungle cock inlay and alignment markers. Here are some pictures I took when I brought it out for the first time today.

Click the image to open in full size.

Some browns and rainbows put a nice bend in it and I loved the way it cast. Finally, here's a picture I took last night when my dog sat down on the chair next to the rod. Something very British about a terrier and a fly rod.

thanks for looking!
Pocono and ak allen like this.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:19 PM

ak allen has a spectacular aura aboutak allen has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to ak allen
Default Re: Latest build 2wt

Very Nice!
"To go fishing is the chance to wash one's soul with pure air, with the rush of the brook, or with the shimmer of sun on blue water. It brings meekness and inspiration from the decency of nature, charity toward tackle-makers, patience toward fish, a mockery of profits and egos, a quieting of hate, a rejoicing that you do not have to decide a darned thing until next week. And it is discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish."
~ Herbert Hoover
Old 05-22-2012, 11:34 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Tiger eye, ech? Have heard of them somewhere before ....

Lovely build!! Enjoy!
williamhj likes this.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:46 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Nice build, williamhj!

I like the blank with the wraps and the rattan grip looks great!

I've never fished below a 3 wt. , but I've just located a couple of small native Brookie streams not far from where I live, so I'm starting to think smaller rods.

Pocono
Old 05-22-2012, 07:11 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pocono, with the smaller fish it is a lot of fun. I loved how the 2wt presented dries very delicately with furled leader and 7X. A 6 or 8 inch wild trout put a nice bend in the rod and the 11 incher was amazing. I wouldn't use it with consistently larger fish as I think it's wear them out too much, but it's a great smaller stream rod and I loved how the rattan felt. It was easier to do than I expected, though I still made some mistakes. Always more to learn

Thanks again!
Old 05-24-2012, 05:19 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I just received a cane rod that was built for me by a guide/rod builder/friend in the Poconos, named Ben Turpin.

It's a Payne 95 taper, 6'0" 3 wt. and paired with a Hardy Featherweight reel it's going to be seeing some action in the near future on those small streams that I mentioned. I think it will be for "handful-sized" Brookies, but I'm looking forward to it.

Your Orvis reel looks nice on that rod of yours. Glad you're enjoying your new 2 wt.!

.......................does that dog have a fishing license?!

Pocono
Old 05-24-2012, 06:02 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Nice build. I like rattan grips. Did you put thread between the wraps?
Old 05-24-2012, 07:23 AM

Mojo, Yes, I put chestnut silk between the rattan wraps. If I had olive silk I might have tried it to pick-up on the thread wraps.

Pocono, The bamboo sounds great! No, Molly doesn't have a fishing license, when I cast she thinks I'm throwing something for her to chase. But my brother's dog might, she goes with us everywhere and is a great fishing dog.

Thanks for the kind words!