The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rod Building (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rod-building/)
-   -   Rod blank kit suggestions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rod-building/280087-rod-blank-kit-suggestions.html)

zug buggin 05-22-2012 03:54 PM

Rod blank kit suggestions

I'm a rookie builder getting ready to start my first rod. I've ordered a hand wrapper and 18 rpm drying motor from mudhole along with other supplies. I've got everything coming but the rod kit. I'm looking for suggestions
First of all this being my first rod I don't want to put much $ into the kit figuring I'll be making rookie mistakes so I want a decent rod but cheap enough that I won't be too upset as the rookie mistakes happen. I'm planning to use the rod for a trout streamer rod, throwing sink tip to full sink lines in a 9' 6wt or 7wt. I want to keep the rod kit under $100 please give me brand and model suggestions as I don't know diddly about rod kits and I'm seeing lots of brand that I have no idea about. Also I had a couple of people suggest going with a fewer piece rod with the idea that the heavier sink lines put stress on the ferruels and the rods tend to come apart during the cast. I had this problem many years ago but it hasn't been a problem in years.

williamhj 05-22-2012 04:10 PM

Re: Rod blank kit suggestions

JS Stockard kit could be a good place to start. The Forecast kits in 6wt are under $100 for 2 piece and $104 for 4 piece. I think it's a standard Batson RX6 blank. It doesn't come with finish and you could get a different thread color if you wanted something different than the black it comes with. I haven't built this kit, but have built a couple RX6 blanks and like them. Don't know about multiple pieces and sinking lines.

Enjoy!

Mnflyfish 05-22-2012 04:10 PM

check out RDP fly rods. prices seem to be pretty decent for blanks. Check cabelas for reel seats and handles.
Welcome to RDP FlyRods; Custom Fly Rods, Blank Rods, Reels and More

dean_mt 05-22-2012 04:14 PM

TFO - Temple Fork Outfitters - sells blanks and full hardware kits. Not sure of the actions on all the rods, I think the TiCr is a pretty fast rod that I've heard a lot of people like. I built a Lefty Kreh Professional last winter, 9-0-5wt. It's a really nice medium action rod. They are really nice rods and at the price, I don't think you can beat them. The warranty is top notch.

dsmith1427 05-23-2012 09:46 AM

Tiger eye from Siever manufacturing makes a resonably priced blanks. I recently order two and the turn around time was quick. I will probably order the components this weekend. These blanks will be my second and third build. There is a series of YouTube videos on how to build a fly rod that I found helpful.

Don

Rip Tide 05-23-2012 11:22 AM

You should check out Hook & Hackle
Rod building supplies is their specialty

There's an excellent rod building tutorial on another forum which I won't link to, but if you google
"Al Campbell, build your own graphite rod"
you'll find it

oarfish 05-23-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mnflyfish (Post 453025)
check out RDP fly rods. prices seem to be pretty decent for blanks. Check cabelas for reel seats and handles.
Welcome to RDP FlyRods; Custom Fly Rods, Blank Rods, Reels and More

I've spoken with the owner and his blanks are from Batson made in C but he doesen't offer a 6 or 7 wt.

Rick