The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 11:30 AM

barham will become famous soon enough
Default Re: High Build vs Lite Build

I know you fellows are ahead of me with the modern one and two part epoxy based coatings, but at 73 I am entitled to be old fashioned. I enjoy using Helsman Spar Varnish gloss or satin thread wraps depending on the rod finish. I use eight thin coats. With the four hour waiting time, I can put six coats on over a weekend.
I like the result which is not "globby" and do not have to deal with the hassle of bubbles, setting up, etc.
As I said before on another post on this forum, I got fussed at on another forum for being old fashioned and out of date. To that charge I plead guilty!
barham
Old 12-10-2013, 03:56 PM

outlaw45 is on a distinguished road

Barham, I am with ya. I am 68 and I like the old way. never had a prob on any rod and I fish salt a lot and fresh. have hung a lot of 30+ lb salmon and no problem.
I suppose the new stuff is ok but I am use to the old stuff and I like it that way. just my way.
Outlaw
Old 12-10-2013, 05:33 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I build way more saltwater conventional rods than fly rods and I still use lite epoxies. It's not uncommon for for me to got 3-5 coats on a finish, but I get smooth, level coverage with no air bubbles. The hi build stuff will require less coats, but you have to be careful how it sets and how much air it holds.