The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rod Building (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rod-building/)
-   -   High Build vs Lite Build (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rod-building/282832-high-build-vs-lite-build.html)

zug buggin 05-29-2012 08:09 PM

High Build vs Lite Build
 
I was about to order a rod finish kit and I don't know the difference (beginner) between High Build vs Lite build rod finish. Whats the difference, advantages vs disadvantages?

Mnflyfish 05-29-2012 08:59 PM

Re: High Build vs Lite Build
 
Lite Build vs High Build

I just googled it, hope it helps. im sure you will get lots of help here, these guys are great.

mojo 05-29-2012 09:12 PM

Re: High Build vs Lite Build
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by zug buggin (Post 456861)
I was about to order a rod finish kit and I don't know the difference (beginner) between High Build vs Lite build rod finish. Whats the difference, advantages vs disadvantages?

I like thin buildup on the threads, so I like the lite, or even spar varnish. Some people like the high build. To me, footballs belong on the gridiron, not on a flyrod.;) But I have no problem with high build, but with the lite, I can get the number of coats on to my satisfaction. I'm not in a hurry to finish a rod.
Also remember with high build, it can be thinned down. Allpersonal preference. Either build, I like Threadmaster.

oarfish 05-30-2012 05:10 PM

Re: High Build vs Lite Build
 
In my HOP I use lite for my fly rods, for my salt boat rods where I use a base wrap and then a wrap for the guide feet I'll use a high build for extra shock and strength, but that said I'll use the same formula for steelhead rods that I use to target fresh water from salt targets, hot fish.

Rick

mojo 05-30-2012 07:02 PM

Re: High Build vs Lite Build
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarfish (Post 457359)
In my HOP I use lite for my fly rods, for my salt boat rods where I use a base wrap and then a wrap for the guide feet I'll use a high build for extra shock and strength, but that said I'll use the same formula for steelhead rods that I use to target fresh water from salt targets, hot fish.

Rick

Rick, you say you use high build for salt water rods for extra shock and strength. I was under the impression that the thread coating was just to keep the thread protected from the elements and to keep it from unravelling. Does the extra buildup (epoxy) on your saltwater really help? I've never flyfished salt or built a sw rod before.

Rip Tide 06-01-2012 09:08 AM

Re: High Build vs Lite Build
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojo (Post 457429)
Rick, you say you use high build for salt water rods for extra shock and strength. I was under the impression that the thread coating was just to keep the thread protected from the elements and to keep it from unravelling. Does the extra buildup (epoxy) on your saltwater really help? I've never flyfished salt or built a sw rod before.

Not only does the high build provide extra strength to the wraps, but the extra coverage better protects the guide feet from corrosion

oarfish 06-01-2012 10:42 AM

Re: High Build vs Lite Build
 
Sorry Mojo, I was unable to post yesterday to your question, yes the high build is stronger, Rip has just about said it all, even with some high build I've noticed guide stress showing up in the wrap finnish, high build is another tool that has its place.

Rick

rapman 12-01-2013 09:01 PM

Re: High Build vs Lite Build
 
I've used high build on the 4 rods I've built. It's easy to use - just take your time and don't apply too heavily. My personal theory is the fewer steps I have to do, the fewer chances I have of screwing something up.

petee 12-02-2013 08:01 PM

Re: High Build vs Lite Build
 
Personal opinion as I have no technical basis for anything I am saying. Just a few dozen rods worth of experience.

Lite= more than one coat required. I am usually satisfied with three thin coats. Fewer bubbles, especially in the tunnel by the guide foot. Maybe a bit longer pot life.... maybe. No need to thin it unless you just want to apply a water thin finish. It is harder to get the edges of the wraps built up enough for a smooth transistion. Hence the three coats.... for me.

High build= some builders can get away with one coat and not have footballs. I am not one of those builders. It can be thinned to match lite build consistency. That extends the pot life, but also the set up time. When it goes off it is over and done with, dump it and mix a new batch. Easier to get the dreaded football shape on the guides.

Not to start a debate, but I would need to see actual proof that high build is physically stronger than lite build, if the final thickness of the finish is identical.

Just my $.02,
Pete

biggie_robs 12-02-2013 09:56 PM

Re: High Build vs Lite Build
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by petee (Post 616573)
Not to start a debate, but I would need to see actual proof that high build is physically stronger than lite build, if the final thickness of the finish is identical.

Well, you may have started one, because I would also like to know what evidence there is that high build is stronger than lite of the same thickness.

I like Flex-Coat Lite, FYI. I actually don't find it to be too thin--especially compared to spar varnish or permagloss. I use three coats of FCLite on most thread wraps (some only need two).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.