The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 08:09 PM

zug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura about
Default High Build vs Lite Build

I was about to order a rod finish kit and I don't know the difference (beginner) between High Build vs Lite build rod finish. Whats the difference, advantages vs disadvantages?
Old 05-29-2012, 08:59 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice
Default Re: High Build vs Lite Build

Lite Build vs High Build

I just googled it, hope it helps. im sure you will get lots of help here, these guys are great.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:12 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by zug buggin View Post
I was about to order a rod finish kit and I don't know the difference (beginner) between High Build vs Lite build rod finish. Whats the difference, advantages vs disadvantages?
I like thin buildup on the threads, so I like the lite, or even spar varnish. Some people like the high build. To me, footballs belong on the gridiron, not on a flyrod. But I have no problem with high build, but with the lite, I can get the number of coats on to my satisfaction. I'm not in a hurry to finish a rod.
Also remember with high build, it can be thinned down. Allpersonal preference. Either build, I like Threadmaster.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:10 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

In my HOP I use lite for my fly rods, for my salt boat rods where I use a base wrap and then a wrap for the guide feet I'll use a high build for extra shock and strength, but that said I'll use the same formula for steelhead rods that I use to target fresh water from salt targets, hot fish.

Rick
Old 05-30-2012, 07:02 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarfish View Post
In my HOP I use lite for my fly rods, for my salt boat rods where I use a base wrap and then a wrap for the guide feet I'll use a high build for extra shock and strength, but that said I'll use the same formula for steelhead rods that I use to target fresh water from salt targets, hot fish.

Rick
Rick, you say you use high build for salt water rods for extra shock and strength. I was under the impression that the thread coating was just to keep the thread protected from the elements and to keep it from unravelling. Does the extra buildup (epoxy) on your saltwater really help? I've never flyfished salt or built a sw rod before.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:08 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Rick, you say you use high build for salt water rods for extra shock and strength. I was under the impression that the thread coating was just to keep the thread protected from the elements and to keep it from unravelling. Does the extra buildup (epoxy) on your saltwater really help? I've never flyfished salt or built a sw rod before.
Not only does the high build provide extra strength to the wraps, but the extra coverage better protects the guide feet from corrosion
Old 06-01-2012, 10:42 AM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Sorry Mojo, I was unable to post yesterday to your question, yes the high build is stronger, Rip has just about said it all, even with some high build I've noticed guide stress showing up in the wrap finnish, high build is another tool that has its place.

Rick
Old 12-01-2013, 09:01 PM

rapman is on a distinguished road

I've used high build on the 4 rods I've built. It's easy to use - just take your time and don't apply too heavily. My personal theory is the fewer steps I have to do, the fewer chances I have of screwing something up.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:01 PM

petee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to beholdpetee is a splendid one to behold

Personal opinion as I have no technical basis for anything I am saying. Just a few dozen rods worth of experience.

Lite= more than one coat required. I am usually satisfied with three thin coats. Fewer bubbles, especially in the tunnel by the guide foot. Maybe a bit longer pot life.... maybe. No need to thin it unless you just want to apply a water thin finish. It is harder to get the edges of the wraps built up enough for a smooth transistion. Hence the three coats.... for me.

High build= some builders can get away with one coat and not have footballs. I am not one of those builders. It can be thinned to match lite build consistency. That extends the pot life, but also the set up time. When it goes off it is over and done with, dump it and mix a new batch. Easier to get the dreaded football shape on the guides.

Not to start a debate, but I would need to see actual proof that high build is physically stronger than lite build, if the final thickness of the finish is identical.

Just my $.02,
Pete
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16
Old 12-02-2013, 09:56 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee View Post
Not to start a debate, but I would need to see actual proof that high build is physically stronger than lite build, if the final thickness of the finish is identical.
Well, you may have started one, because I would also like to know what evidence there is that high build is stronger than lite of the same thickness.

I like Flex-Coat Lite, FYI. I actually don't find it to be too thin--especially compared to spar varnish or permagloss. I use three coats of FCLite on most thread wraps (some only need two).