The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 11:05 PM

baitwaister will become famous soon enough
Default Ebay Glass

A rodbuilding friend told me about these Ebay blanks so I decided to get one to build. It is an 8' 5/6 wt clear blank. Reel seat is AmTak's window skeleton seat with the thread wrap showing through the skeleton. The grip is Carbon fiber ends, cork and birch bark with black trims. Guides are Pac bay stripper and chrome SF guides and flytip. The rod was good and straight and has a good action. I have only fished it with a 5wt line so far but the rod has a nice medium+ action. I can't wait to put a six on it and go for some bass.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Ebay Glass

Quite an elaborate build there!

How much was the blank?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:38 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Nice looking rod, something to be proud of, I know I would be if I could put one together that looked like that.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:41 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Nice rod, slick looking grip and I like the spiral wraps.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:59 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I like the blank and I like the wraps... The seat/handle looks like a jumbled mess of "ooo I should do this and this and this". Almost looks frankenstein'd.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
I like the blank and I like the wraps... The seat/handle looks like a jumbled mess of "ooo I should do this and this and this". Almost looks frankenstein'd.
You are a sweet talker, he's gonna love that

I don't really think so............but you said it.
fredaevans likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-18-2013, 02:15 PM

baitwaister will become famous soon enough

His comments do not really bother me, and in a way he is correct. That grip was developed for a article I wrote for Rodmaker magazine. In it I showed how I do inlays, wood trim ends and acrylics to dress up the carbon fiber. This grip showed how to use the Cf ends cut off of other grips and they could be used with cork or other grip materials to complete the grip. So in a way, yes they are Frankenstein'd, but if my memory serves me correctly that book became a classic.
Everybody has different opinnions of what looks good to them. Most of the time when someone dislikes something that might be a little "out of the box", especially with fly rod grips, they fall into two categories. The first is the traditionalist where anything but cork is sacrilege. The other is the one that puts something down because he can't either afford it or build it himself. Fortunately for me and other builders I supply with grips, my customers seem to like what I produce for them. When I sent Blue Halo the pics of this rod they immediately put it on their Facebook page,where it recieved nothing but positive comments.
mcnerney, vgb and bear 007 like this.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You are indeed a gentleman and a gracious one at that! Personally I found the grip work well beyond my scope of abilities and considering that it was a custom build I figured you must have enjoyed making it. But then you've explained how it came to be, nice work.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-18-2013, 02:55 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Very long time back but I used to build my own rods, including 2handers. The 'handle' was a total pain where one sat. Insert a lot of 'four letter words.'

fae
Old 12-10-2013, 04:51 PM

outlaw45 is on a distinguished road

another great rod build from a great builder. I luv his builds.

Outlaw