The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Auntie Em
  • 1 Post By swirlchaser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 01:42 PM

chris_n is on a distinguished road
Default Rod Build Starter Kit?

I have finally reached the pont in my fly fishing career where I have become official and utterly consumed by this sport and am ready to start building rods. Does anyone have any suggestions for a starter? Best place to buy components? Is there a kit or something I can buy that comes with all the tools etc.?

Any pointers would be great, Thanks guys.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:18 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rod Build Starter Kit?

For tools you'd need:
- razor blades (hardware store)
- I use painter's tape to hold the guides on
- china marker
- burnisher
- small craft brushes
- small mixing cups

For equipment
- rod wrapper (can buy them or build one)
- rod dryer (again can buy one or make one)

If you want info on making your own, let us know. They can be purchased from rod building websites.

For places to get the tools and components, I use acidrod, js fly fishing, utmost enterprises, and golden witch though there are many other places out there. I've JS Fly Fishing and Acid Rod carry a lot of what you'll need in terms of components and equipment. Utmost offers a discount on stuff made by Batson. Cabelas sells rod building stuff, check their bargain cave, there are sometimes kits on sale.

I don't have a specific kit to recommend. The advantage of getting one is you're sure to get the components you need. The disadvantage is you might prefer slightly different components on your custom rod. Just depends on how confident you are ordering everything a la carte your first time. I don't like kits personally as I like to customize my rod more, including making my own grips rather than using pre-made ones included in kits. Order some extra thread colors too. Thread is cheap and you're already paying shipping for the order. The kit may come with a thread color, but if you order some other colors it will give you options to customize the rod. If you don't get a kit we can help you be sure to order what you need, just ask.

I would recommend buying the finish for the wraps separately. A kit may come with some, but it's best to have plenty. Otherwise you might feel pressure to use finish that is starting to cure and end up with a bad result. If you have plenty, if the finish has started to cure you can just mix up another batch. Along with that, buy a bunch of small brushes and mixing cups. They are cheap and it's a pain to run out of them.

Other advice, watch youtube videos on wrapping guides and other parts of building, check you library for books on rod building (also check inter-library loan and get books from across the state or even other states), ask lots of questions there are a lot of helpful and experienced folks on here, and finally, take your time. You can wrap a guide, cut it off and do it again.

Welcome to the world of rod building! It's a lot of fun. Just took a new rod out this past weekend, my first time using bamboo. I built the rod from a blank and enjoyed catching the first fish on the new rod.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
For tools you'd need:
- razor blades (hardware store)
- I use painter's tape to hold the guides on
- china marker
- burnisher
- small craft brushes
- small mixing cups

For equipment
- rod wrapper (can buy them or build one)
- rod dryer (again can buy one or make one)

If you want info on making your own, let us know. They can be purchased from rod building websites.

For places to get the tools and components, I use acidrod, js fly fishing, utmost enterprises, and golden witch though there are many other places out there. I've JS Fly Fishing and Acid Rod carry a lot of what you'll need in terms of components and equipment. Utmost offers a discount on stuff made by Batson. Cabelas sells rod building stuff, check their bargain cave, there are sometimes kits on sale.

I don't have a specific kit to recommend. The advantage of getting one is you're sure to get the components you need. The disadvantage is you might prefer slightly different components on your custom rod. Just depends on how confident you are ordering everything a la carte your first time. I don't like kits personally as I like to customize my rod more, including making my own grips rather than using pre-made ones included in kits. Order some extra thread colors too. Thread is cheap and you're already paying shipping for the order. The kit may come with a thread color, but if you order some other colors it will give you options to customize the rod. If you don't get a kit we can help you be sure to order what you need, just ask.

I would recommend buying the finish for the wraps separately. A kit may come with some, but it's best to have plenty. Otherwise you might feel pressure to use finish that is starting to cure and end up with a bad result. If you have plenty, if the finish has started to cure you can just mix up another batch. Along with that, buy a bunch of small brushes and mixing cups. They are cheap and it's a pain to run out of them.

Other advice, watch youtube videos on wrapping guides and other parts of building, check you library for books on rod building (also check inter-library loan and get books from across the state or even other states), ask lots of questions there are a lot of helpful and experienced folks on here, and finally, take your time. You can wrap a guide, cut it off and do it again.

Welcome to the world of rod building! It's a lot of fun. Just took a new rod out this past weekend, my first time using bamboo. I built the rod from a blank and enjoyed catching the first fish on the new rod.
Thanks for the all the help, I will definitely check out those websites and other resources you mentioned. Do you know of any place I can buy high quality rod blanks for cheap, I dont want to get to nice of a blank for my first build but I still want quality if possible.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:58 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I've built a number of rods on blanks from Sevier Manufacturing. Built a 4wt and 2 wt for myself and a 5 wt for my sister-in-law. I'd call if you're going to order, he sometimes has blanks in stock that aren't listed on the website. Also Batson Enterprises RX6 blanks aren't too expensive. Built a 5 and 8wt for myself on these.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:17 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Noooooo! Quickly, quickly ... RUN AWAY!! While you still have a chance!!
Old 07-05-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Noooooo! Quickly, quickly ... RUN AWAY!! While you still have a chance!!
Could you elaborate for me ?
Old 07-05-2012, 12:17 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Sure, I can! RUN AWAY! Danger ahead! Dark hole, no retreat! Sucked in forever ... until you start the BAMBOO search!!

Obviously, said tongue in cheek. It's some of the funnest stuff you can ever do! Get any kit you want ... or even better ... check out what goes in the kits, and put your own together. I really, really love the Tiger Eye blanks! Expect to be frustrated at times, on your first one, but that's why we're here!!. Enjoy the process. Walk away, if need be, for a little while. Enjoy the finished product of the stream!
oarfish likes this.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Sure, I can! RUN AWAY! Danger ahead! Dark hole, no retreat! Sucked in forever ... until you start the BAMBOO search!!

Obviously, said tongue in cheek. It's some of the funnest stuff you can ever do! Get any kit you want ... or even better ... check out what goes in the kits, and put your own together. I really, really love the Tiger Eye blanks! Expect to be frustrated at times, on your first one, but that's why we're here!!. Enjoy the process. Walk away, if need be, for a little while. Enjoy the finished product of the stream!
LoL it is too late for me.......I am beyond the point of obsession with this sport.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:01 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Another site to check out is Mudhole Tackle. They're website is VERY beginner friendly. Lots of how-to videos, and FAQ. They have a few kits avail too if you want to get one under your belt without having to match components individually.
williamhj likes this.