The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 07:32 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: looking for a builder, or thinking to build...not sure yet.

Not to hijack but Mojo how does one get intouch with Lemke? I tried to google Lemke Concepts and just found links the the fiberglass forum.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:24 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Ok guys, i slept on it last night, and it now looks like the build is on!

I might pick up a second cheaper blank to practice on first before i do the Kabuto.

I pretty much have it planned out.

I 'm gonna do emerald green wraps (maybe with gold tipping). I'm irish, what can i say - those coupled with the white blank should balance out pretty nice traditional colors.

The other components i'm still working on and looking around. Had search for Lemke Reel seats, but didnt find a site, though via a post on FFR i gather they are still available - not to just track down some contact info.
A stacked bamboo from Kab would be sweet, though im not sure he sells them independently of the blank.

I'll go with snake guides, and maybe a gold or green agate stripping guide - hopkins and holloway, or perhaps just a plain stipping guide, not sure yet. i guess i could buy both and see how they fit.

I've got a while yet before the blank arrives. SHould be sometime end of nov, beginning of december.

No doubt between now and then i'll be back here asking questions. Dan already gave me his number so i'll take him up on his offer at some stage for technical details.

I'll just buy a handle, any good suppliers??
Old 08-30-2012, 10:52 AM

tedp is on a distinguished road

Utmost enterprises is an awesome supplier. They carry Batson and Pac Bay components.
williamhj likes this.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:17 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

One of the best places I've used for rod making supplies is Angler's Workshop in Woodland Washington. Been in business for at least 4 decades that I know.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
I might pick up a second cheaper blank to practice on first before i do the Kabuto.
While this will give real experience I used a piece of dowel rod to learn wraps on. These are very affordable at the lumber store. Dan will be a good guide he has built many rods and is a handle artist.
Guest1 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-30-2012, 11:30 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

Ard
Sounds like a good (and more affordable) tip...think i'll do that instead.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:08 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of really good advice here. Those seats Mojo showed are seriously nice. Fred is right about Angler's workshop. They by the way is where I generall get my cork. It is spendy but the best cork I have ever seen. If you look in the photos that show my Meiser, there is no fill in that cork. By the way, I am not a varnish fan. I use Flex Coat lite build and do two coats. Mine look like glass. I have a rod I did with white in the butt wrap It's at least 10 years old and has still not turned yellow. As for the Handle, again Angler's Workshop has a good selection and the cork has always been good when I got one from them.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:19 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt;480472[COLOR="RoyalBlue"
]Does spar varnish hold up like the epoxies do? [/COLOR] I've only done a few rods and realized that using a "lite" version is the way to go and have learned how to handle it better, but I was painting contractor for years and am pretty comfortable with varnishes and have used Spar more than once. But is it something that you have to re-do after some years? I'm curious as my mind is wandering about a making another rod this winter.
Simple answer on glass/grph rods is NO. Boo's? I'd say let her rip.

---------- Post added at 10:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
A lot of really good advice here. Those seats Mojo showed are seriously nice. Fred is right about Angler's workshop. They by the way is where I generall get my cork. It is spendy but the best cork I have ever seen. If you look in the photos that show my Meiser, there is no fill in that cork. By the way, I am not a varnish fan. I use Flex Coat lite build and do two coats. Mine look like glass. I have a rod I did with white in the butt wrap It's at least 10 years old and has still not turned yellow. As for the Handle, again Angler's Workshop has a good selection and the cork has always been good when I got one from them.
To expand on DD's comments above a touch. The only hard part in building a rod is the handle unless you've got something that allows you to 'spin the blank' as you're sanding. You also need long furniture clamps, build a cork jig so you can glue/compress the rings, etc.,, and etc. Failing that, see if you can find (Ang Wshp has tonnes) a pre-done one(s) and just slip on/glue in place.

You'll save yourself a tonne of ARRRRRRGGGGGG'S.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:24 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

For all the builders out there I've been getting my cork from a woman on ebay Marcia Azevedo I typically get 90 .25" rings for 30 some odd dollars and its pretty great stuff. While quarter inch rings won't have alot of voids to begin with the stuff I've been getting really looks good, straight from Portugal. Another option to FC Lite is Permagloss its alot like using varnish but dries crystal clear down side is it takes alot of coats compared to the FC. You'll really dig it Eunan, one of the coolest parts is catching a fish on a rod you put together with a fly you tied!
Old 08-30-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
You'll really dig it Eunan, one of the coolest parts is catching a fish on a rod you put together with a fly you tied!
Holy bejesus, thats the last thing I need to hear, what with my current obsession with classic flies.

I've a feeling this is either gonna be great, or great AND expensive in the long run...