The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 01:32 PM

hooked1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: looking for a builder, or thinking to build...not sure yet.

Hey Eunan,

You can build everything you need to do a rod with very little effort.from the wrapper,turn motor and stand,apox. mixer,handle clamp.I don't think I have 65 beans into all of them.A few pieces of 1 by 3 by 3' oak,dowel rod,threaded rod for the handle clamp,thread tensioner(e-bay),a couple of motors(e-bay).I put all of mine to a router just to clean it up a bit.Im sure you have already searched it out.Pick the one you like and make it.
I would also get the book from Art Scheck,Fly Rod Building Made Easy.A great book for the beginner.It is actually a good read.Not a typical how to.The guy seems to understand how mundane how to books can get.He does a good job keeping you in the book.I have seen how exacting your standards are through you flies.This book will get you there.

As far as components go,AW is a good place.H&H are by far the best guides.You do get what you pay for.

Good Luck
Scott
Old 08-30-2012, 06:39 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
For all the builders out there I've been getting my cork from a woman on ebay Marcia Azevedo I typically get 90 .25" rings for 30 some odd dollars and its pretty great stuff. While quarter inch rings won't have alot of voids to begin with the stuff I've been getting really looks good, straight from Portugal. Another option to FC Lite is Permagloss its alot like using varnish but dries crystal clear down side is it takes alot of coats compared to the FC. You'll really dig it Eunan, one of the coolest parts is catching a fish on a rod you put together with a fly you tied!
Golden Witch has some pigment you can mix with the epoxy. When you glue your 1/4" rings together and then sand it down, you'll see a thin line of the colored epoxy between the rings. Looks cool if it's done right.
I've built some rods with Hopkins & Holloway guides, but for my rods, I'll stick with Snake Brand. Wt, have you tried Threadmaster, or Threadmaster Lite. Awesome stuff.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:43 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Simple answer on glass/grph rods is NO. Boo's? I'd say let her rip.
Thanks Fred.

Quote:
You'll save yourself a tonne of ARRRRRRGGGGGG'S.
I think building the handle is a lot of fun. Personally I see being able to shape the handle and is one of the coolest options to customize your rod. But my local fly shop has gerry-rigged lathe to turn handles, so having that available makes a huge difference.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:59 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Golden Witch has some pigment you can mix with the epoxy.
I was checking that out it does look pretty sweet. I haven't tried the Threadmasters yet but I have read alot of good reviews on both. I tried that Prokote but ended up with footballs but that could have been temperature issues.

You can make your own psuedo lathe with a vise, corded screw gun and a dowel along with the rollers from the drying motor. If you clamp the rollers down good the grips come out finest kind you just wax the dowel and heat the whole thing with a hair dryer to slip it off. I too like to turn my own grips and reeming out a complete grip can be a pain but if you do it in sections its easy peasy.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:24 AM

tedp is on a distinguished road

If you are interested in pigments for epoxy, check out Bullard International. They have lots of colors and shades. Their Diamond II epoxy is excellent too. Very clear, thinner build and easy to work with. Wrap all that up in excellent customer service. They also have a product called CPXtra that is similar to Permagloss. I've never used it but I've heard good things about it.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:38 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Does the CP in the Xtra stand for color preserver?
Old 08-31-2012, 10:42 AM

tedp is on a distinguished road

Actually yes. It does darken the thread but you aren't going to get transparent wraps. Hadn't thought about that.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:59 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

To expand on DD's comments above a touch. The only hard part in building a rod is the handle unless you've got something that allows you to 'spin the blank' as you're sanding. You also need long furniture clamps, build a cork jig so you can glue/compress the rings, etc.,, and etc. Failing that, see if you can find (Ang Wshp has tonnes) a pre-done one(s) and just slip on/glue in place.

You'll save yourself a tonne of ARRRRRRGGGGGG'S.
I turn down my grips off the blank and haven't had trouble. Even done two for rattan grips so thinner cork than normal. With cork for rattan grips I reamed it before turning it down.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:40 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
I turn down my grips off the blank and haven't had trouble. Even done two for rattan grips so thinner cork than normal. With cork for rattan grips I reamed it before turning it down.
I never turn them on the blank either. For one thing, if something goes wrong, and it can with the best of us, it's glued to your blank. I turn all of them on a mandrel and then ream them just like I would a factory grip.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:53 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Nevermind .....

Last edited by Auntie Em; 09-02-2012 at 08:52 AM.