The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 12:13 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default looking for a builder, or thinking to build...not sure yet.

So,
i've got a new glass blank on order, due for delivery end of november.

Thing is i've never built a rod in my life, and i'm not sure of the complexities and intricacies that goes into it. I do know however, that if i do it and like it, it will end up like fly tying...addictive and then i'll be suckered into another 'hobby'

Anyways.
My questions are thus,

1. should i have a go? the blank is a white kabuto. I know what i want it to look like. is it really that hard to build a rod for

2. should i just buy the components and get a builder to do it for me. I envision the cost of the machinery (turner and drier) to be the cost of having someone build it.

Thoughts??

Eunan
Old 08-29-2012, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: looking for a builder, or thinking to build...not sure yet.

The first rod I ever worked on was a complete restoration including impregnating of a Schowers 8'6" 5/6 weight bamboo. Mounting grips - winding check - and hardware is nothing to be afraid of and wrapping guides is sort of like tying, I like it.

You will need to research either building or buying a finishing rack and you will need a low RPM finishing motor for curing the wraps. Investment wise the cost is relatively low considering you will have the items for life.

With all the finishers on the forum any questions will be answered quickly.
s fontinalis likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-29-2012, 01:21 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Eunan,
It's not that hard to build a fly rod. You should give some consideration to doing it yourself. I can help you through it if you want. The first thing you need to do is decide on a few details like factory made grip or turn it yourself. Things like that. Once you get those decisions made, give me a call. Number on the way.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:54 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Eunan,
Anyone that ties flies as well as you do can easily put together a rod.
Hell, even I can throw one together and not embarrass myself too badly
Old 08-29-2012, 03:00 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Hi Eunan,
It's not that hard to build a fly rod. You should give some consideration to doing it yourself. I can help you through it if you want. The first thing you need to do is decide on a few details like factory made grip or turn it yourself. Things like that. Once you get those decisions made, give me a call. Number on the way.
Ohhh Sooo yes! DD's dead on, if you know the guide spacing that's easy .. the handle is the pain where one sits unless you've got a way to turn same on a lath or buy a pre-built one that will fit.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:46 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Ditto what Rip Tide said, you have the skills and patience and perfectionist mentality to do this yourself.

I got an electric turner for $50, for rotating while the epoxy dries. You'll want to make some sort of rack that supports the rod with winding guides, applying epoxy, etc. If you want to make your own handle you'll need some sort of lathe to turn it (an electric drill strapped to a block works).

The hesitation I would have is that you have a pretty special blank for your first time. You should do some practice on something a little cheaper!
Old 08-29-2012, 07:14 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
So,
i've got a new glass blank on order, due for delivery end of november.

Thing is i've never built a rod in my life, and i'm not sure of the complexities and intricacies that goes into it. I do know however, that if i do it and like it, it will end up like fly tying...addictive and then i'll be suckered into another 'hobby'

Anyways.
My questions are thus,

1. should i have a go? the blank is a white kabuto. I know what i want it to look like. is it really that hard to build a rod for

2. should i just buy the components and get a builder to do it for me. I envision the cost of the machinery (turner and drier) to be the cost of having someone build it.

Thoughts??

Eunan
Do it yourself.
Have you decided on your components? If not, I would suggest a Lemke reel seat and insert, unless you can get one of Kab's bamboo insert. Snake brand guides and tip top. And of all the thread epoxy, I like Threadmaster Lite. Unless you use spar varnish. And I'd get the best cork you can find.
The Kabuto is a premium blank. So get the best components you can.
As for a rod turmer, check out ebay.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:23 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Does spar varnish hold up like the epoxies do? I've only done a few rods and realized that using a "lite" version is the way to go and have learned how to handle it better, but I was painting contractor for years and am pretty comfortable with varnishes and have used Spar more than once. But is it something that you have to re-do after some years? I'm curious as my mind is wandering about a making another rod this winter.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:42 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said, do it. It's not that hard and it's a blast! I built my wrapper from cheap lumber and nuts and bolts, and my dryer cost about $20. I make my own grips but don't have a lathe. I glue the cork rings on a 1/4" threaded rod with wing nuts and washers. When dry, I put it in my drill chuck and sand it down. Never had a problem.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:16 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Does spar varnish hold up like the epoxies do? I've only done a few rods and realized that using a "lite" version is the way to go and have learned how to handle it better, but I was painting contractor for years and am pretty comfortable with varnishes and have used Spar more than once. But is it something that you have to re-do after some years? I'm curious as my mind is wandering about a making another rod this winter.
I've used spar (with uv protectant) on quite a few rods. Actually "dipped" 3. It looks good, and so far no problems. But it's time consuming. There was no need to dip them but i wanted to give it a shot.
Here's a picture of a black Lami. It shows better with black.
Click the image to open in full size.

Here's some of Joel Lemke's seats and inserts.