The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 01:51 AM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default Rod Building advice needed

I have decided that I would like to try building my own fly rod. I've read a lot and seen a lot of videos on the subject. I'm looking for some recommendations on a few things that I'm going to need to start. What kind of finish do you prefer? I've heard a lot of praise for thread master lite. How many coats should I plan on using? What type/size/brand of wrapping thread is usually used? How fast of drying motor will I need? Some say less than 10rpm, some use 20rpm+. That's all I could think of for now, but if you have any other recommendations on things that I may need to know please feel free to let me know.

Thanks for the help,
Chase

Last edited by chased; 09-07-2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Equipment reccomendations needed

Hi Chase,

Today is my day for answering unanswered threads Like some others I have replied on today I don't have all the answers you want but........... Consider editing the thread title. To do this you need to choose edit and then 'Go Advanced' this will allow you to edit the title. If you mention Rod Building, you'll get plenty of hits because we have plenty of finishers here.

I have a 3.5 RPM finishing motor and it works fine.
The only 2 finishes I have used are Sparr marine Varnish & Flex Coat.
I have always used Guidbrod threads or silks but am not sure of availability any more.
I have a finishing rack bought from Cabalas back in 1982. It has a telescoping structure and holds 2 spools of thread on tensioning devices. This was a huge improvement over the 2 V notched boards and a book for thread tension prior to this rack.

Look into a nice finishing rack with duel thread dispensers and a good turning motor and you'll be on the way. Don't forget a pack of single edge razor blades, they come in handy.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-06-2012, 11:43 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Equipment reccomendations needed

I'm assuming your talking about finishing a graphite rod, rather than bamboo. For finish, I use Diamond II by Bullard. I plan on two thin coats though sometimes I end up with three if the second remains tacky or if I spot imperfections I want to cover, read mistakes.

I use size A nylon thread by fishhawk generally but also have used Gudebrud and Bullard threads with success.

My drying motor is around 20 rpms. I don't apply finish while the rod is turning so frankly didn't worry too much, if I'd seen a lower rpm first I might have bought that.

Feel free to ask other questions. Lot's of knowledgeable folks here, some of whom have built a lot of rods and will share far more info that I could. I hope you enjoy your first build!