The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 08:57 AM

rasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the rough

I have been working on a rod with my neighbor. My Sir D taper rod is glued up just waiting on my ferrules to show. It is pretty cool to put one together. I do think the planer's friend would help you out. Also set up a rough beveling system with a router. That takes care of rough planing. Please post more pictures of your progress.

My Guide
Taupo Turangi North Island New Zealand Fly fishing Guide
Old 09-27-2012, 09:33 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Still a long ways off but getting closer everyday

I'm trying to stay o top of the pics but most of the stuff is just a mess and wouldn't make a whole lot of sense, plus once I get moving its hard to remember the camera.
I had plans to make the Gathering this year but my trip to NY fell through which turned out to be a Godsend as I found a great teacher so each weekend I pack it up and head down to Cumberland Valley for my class.
Down the road I'm certainly going to invest in the MHM or HPF once I can really get comfortable with the ole Stanly 9 1/2. Its really a subtle art, working the plane. Don't push down, let the weight of the plane make the cut, the proper way to sharpen the blade, and the sound a sharp blade makes when you get a good chip going. The best sound though is when you reach the point of the blade hitting the forms, that means your done!! Its slow going but this is like nothing I've ever done before so I just take my time with it and walk away when I get burned out or frustrated. I'm sure once I get one in the string the confidence will go up and the next one will go alot smoother.
Rip Tide likes this.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:49 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Well the 6wt Gillum I planned to make is cursed! I got everything, tips and butt ready for glue but while I was fumbling around my bench I dropped a magic marker on one of the strips and crushed it! I tried to find another taper that might have worked but decided it best to cut my losses and start fresh. I'll save those strips for a lighter rod down the road but I picked the Payne Para79 its 6/7wt. I flamed, split, staggered, and straightened the strips today, tomorrow I'll run them through the rougher and start bringing the butt down to final dimensions. I'd like to get it in the string by the weekend and so log as the gremlins stay away it can happen. I'll get some pics up tomorrow.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:47 PM

For once I didn't get caned today! I took yestarday to round up all the necessary parts to finally finish my beveler but thought to myself that for the first rod I rather like the idea of it being totally hand built. So today I hand roughed and planed to final dimensions the butt on the Payne 79. Call me crazy but I got and still have a deep sense of accomplishment doing this way. Kinda like commiting to the dry when there's no hatch and still popping a few. Here's some pics from todays labor of love, this rod when its done will literally be like a relative there's quite a bit of my own blood soaked into the power fibers as this stuff is razor sharp when you get it down to the finals.
Here's the tip of the butt, not a finish cut but just to show the hex.
Click the image to open in full size.
Kind of a before and after although the unfinished strips are for the tip. I had to go oversized to avoid leaf nodes and bug holes.
All this is from 6 butt strips...
And the tools I used today, while down the road the beveler will most likely take over the roughing, for now I will stick with the hand roughing. I feel more connection with what I'm doing, yeah I know I'm a bit nutty!!
Tomorrow I'll finish up the tips and tube everything for the ride down to my teachers house for glue up. It really won't be long now, hopefully by the end of the month she'll be dipped, wrapped, and fishing lakerun bows/browns on the tribs. Now I'm off to ice my wrists and relax!!!!!
mcnerney and williamhj like this.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:04 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Wt.
A Mammoth Task,I know what it's like as I worked as A Toolmaker for many years making Intricate Jigs & Fictures,I even with friends one time thought a couple of times at making a few Cane Rods however The Project didn't get much further.
The Cream will be when you get to Fish them.
Brian
Old 10-05-2012, 05:14 PM

The tip is done without a cut, nick, or any other foul up!

Sorry for the poor pic but oh well, after this the rod will be brought down to Cumberland Valley to be glued up at my teachers house. After the glue is sanded and the blank cleaned up its on to ferruling, dipping, wrapping and finally fishing!!!! I've still got a 4wt 4'11" 1pc and a 8' 4wt 3pc that are waiting to be be roughed and finished but I've learned to take this stuff one small step at a time. When I get the chance I'll put together some photos in a step by step format so it all makes more sense. Thanks for watching!
Old 10-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

This is getting good!
Thanks for letting us follow your adventure. Can't wait to see the smile on your face with the first fish.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 10-05-2012, 06:52 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

although i dont know much about bamboo rods, this thread has me intrigued!
incredible(and painstaking) work your doing WT
i will be looking forward to your next post.

casey

ARFE
Old 10-06-2012, 07:27 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

In all seriousness Bill, I've been watching this thread. It's very infatuating. The more I watch, the more I realize this kind of work is outta my league of abilitiies. But on the lighter side. The water bottle in the pic. Tequila or water?
Old 10-06-2012, 09:04 AM

Hahaha! I could have used a a shot or two when I was done! I'm leaving for the Valley in 45 miutes or so and about ready to explode! I feel like a little kid with a project I can't wait to show my teacher!