For once I didn't get caned today! I took yestarday to round up all the necessary parts to finally finish my beveler but thought to myself that for the first rod I rather like the idea of it being totally hand built. So today I hand roughed and planed to final dimensions the butt on the Payne 79. Call me crazy but I got and still have a deep sense of accomplishment doing this way. Kinda like commiting to the dry when there's no hatch and still popping a few. Here's some pics from todays labor of love, this rod when its done will literally be like a relative there's quite a bit of my own blood soaked into the power fibers as this stuff is razor sharp when you get it down to the finals.
Here's the tip of the butt, not a finish cut but just to show the hex.
Kind of a before and after although the unfinished strips are for the tip. I had to go oversized to avoid leaf nodes and bug holes.
All this is from 6 butt strips...
And the tools I used today, while down the road the beveler will most likely take over the roughing, for now I will stick with the hand roughing. I feel more connection with what I'm doing, yeah I know I'm a bit nutty!!
Tomorrow I'll finish up the tips and tube everything for the ride down to my teachers house for glue up. It really won't be long now, hopefully by the end of the month she'll be dipped, wrapped, and fishing lakerun bows/browns on the tribs. Now I'm off to ice my wrists and relax!!!!!