The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 06:17 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Still a long ways off but getting closer everyday

You are doing Fine,I imagine The Tip would be The most Fiddly to make & assemble.
I wouldn't have the patients anymore for such a project,it would take me eons as I find it hard Tying Flies sometimes these days.
Another thing you are lucky these days with all The Modern Glues around as I remember seeing & many others might remember Hardy's & other Rods which had to be sent & reglued because The Old Casein Glues that were originally used would break down & fall out in our climate.
Brian.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:20 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Addittion to my Previous Posting.

Bill & Rasputin J.
I was wondering how easy is it to source your Agate Guides,Runners,Reel Seats,Ferrules etc as I remember dealing with a Guy in Florida who sells all that Stuff,he even sells The Split Cane Rod Kits which is The way I'd go & Cheat,as I said previously I wouldn't have Bill's Patience.
Like everyone else I'll keep watching.
Brian
Old 10-07-2012, 08:29 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Brian, its fairly easy to source the guides,seats, and ferrules. There are a hanful of shops that carry all of the above. I won't be using Agate guides though I prefer the classic Mildrum style, I think the cane alone is beautiful enough and adding too much "jewelry" takes away from the somewhat organic aspect of it all.
Its funny you mention the modern glues, I learned today that another popular glue has been discontinued (allthough still readily available and will be for atleast a while) and a formerly discontinued type has been brought back by a different company.
Today I got to watch a master glue up two rods and got to do one myself, my own rod will be done this week but I glued and bound the rod I'm making with my teacher. This step is a lot trickier than I expected, fortunately the glue I chose to use on my rod has a much longer pot life so there's less chance of a sticky situation. Oooh bad pun!
Old 10-10-2012, 05:44 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

So here's a short look at the process.
Here is a raw culm with a check split in place. Its purpose is to keep the culm from splitting in weird spots while its drying.
Click the image to open in full size.
Here's the culm flamed lightly on the enamel side as well as the pith side. This step drives out excess moisture and tempers the cane.
From there the culm is split in half, thirds, and on down to strips just over .25"
After that the nodal dam is removed from the pith side and the strips are straightened with a heat gun and the nodes get filed/sanded down. Then the nodes are staggered with a 3x3 pattern and numbered 1 3 and 5 then 2 4 and 6 (once they are ready for glue they are put back in numerical order to insure there are no nodes directly next to each other)
On to roughing or using a beveler. Once the strips are straight and the nodes dressed, the strips are then brought to 60 degree equalaterial triangles.
Now is when the wrist burning begins, the form is set to final demisions via push/pull screws set at 5 inch intervals with a dial depth indicator with a 60 degree point. (the pic is an old one but oh well)
I work with two block planes, one is for general roughing (red) and the other a vintage Stanley 9 1/5 for final planing. Once the strip is within a few thousandths of finish dimensions the enamel side is then sanded down with 220 grt paper in a firm block. Then it gets finished off and taped in the order described above.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Bill,

I may help to describe what a node is and also the node dam, just say'en......... Some here will know while others may be Googling A little info on why they (nodes) and their alignment are crucial would be cool too

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-10-2012, 06:10 PM

Here is the 4'11" 4wt, built off Bogart's Blue Ridge Banty taper, taped and ready to be glued up. Hopefully tomorrow I can glue and bind the two rods I have here at home. Until next weekend I've gone as far as I can without jumping ahead of where I am at with my teacher. I'll update when I get to final sanding and ferruling.
And the tip, nastly little bugger at .054 all together, one strip is .027!
There is alot of tape on there right now I know but when I'm ready to glue it gets unraveled and cut back so it doesn't overlap itself any more than one flat.

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Bill,

I may help to describe what a node is and also the node dam, just say'en......... Some here will know while others may be Googling A little info on why they (nodes) and their alignment are crucial would be cool too
Good call Ard! Nodes are the rings you see in the pic of the raw culm, they are like growth marks. For lack of a better explaination the nodal dams are like floors in a skyscraper, without them in place the bamboo, while growing, would collapse in on itself. The outer node is a slight lip that must be sanded down or pressed flat. The nodal dams are on the pith side or inside of the cane and must be gouged out with either a gouge or chisel. The staggering of the nodes is one of the most important steps in making cane rods. Nodes are weak spots. As bamboo is a grass or reed with thousands of small "power fibers" running the length and the nodes are areas where they stop and turn in on themselves and start over. So when you stagger you try your best to pick an area of the culm that will give you atleast 5 inches of node free space towards the tip and the ferrule. The staggering pattern weather a 2x2, 3x3 or Garrisons spiral pattern is set up in a way so that no two nodes are ever touching across the flats of the strips. 3x3 stagger means three strips with identical nodes are lined up, the next three are lined up and then staggered atleast 5 inches apart. The first three are numbered 1 3 and 5 and the last three 2 4 6 and put together in numerical order when its time to glue up. 2x2 is much the same however when they go together in numerical order the node pattern is somewhat random looking where the 3x3 has a nice pattern to it and looks beautiful with sanded nodes all golden against the chocolatte brown flamming. I hope that made sense
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

This is one of the coolest threads I have seen in a long while. I can't wait to see the end rod.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

That was very good! It will help those who don't have knowledge of a cane rods properties a much clearer view of how the finished rod can be so strong & beautiful.

Thanks Bill

Old 10-17-2012, 02:14 PM

Default In the string baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I've come to the conclusion that plans fall apart and its best to just let it ride. I wasted two days rounding up the bits and peices, testing, tweeking and tuning my home made binder when I woke up this morning and said the hell with it I'll bind by hand. Well it worked out way better than I could have hoped for!
I turned on my oven, that suprisingly based only on looks, kept a consistant temperature of 300, made up a mix of Nyatex epoxy and went at it. The tips were really tough on the hands and the 4'11" one pc was killer too! Here's a look at the butt ends....
The handle area gets triple wrapped to keep the swell from opening while the glue sets. Once the glue is spread evenly with a tooth brush the blank gets wrapped or bound in glace cotton thread under tension. I used a Jap made Pflueger with the drag set at 1.5 (give or take) for the butts and around a pound for the tips. The thread is wrapped in one direction on the way up and cross hatched on the way down with an extra wrap on the handle butts. From there they go into the oven, a 8" round duct with a heat gun in the rear as the heat source and a cap o the other end to hold in the heat. I had to do it that way due to the large diamter duct I chose. It workes great but it ain't pretty! Here's a look at my "binder"
Sorry for the poor pics but the lighting in the workroom is not the best for the camera. After the rods sit over night I'll remove the binding thread and sand down the extra glue, take the fine apex off the flats (it facilitates in varnishing) and heat straighten any sweeps or kinks, I know I have a few but nothing serious. Then on the finishig but I'm not going to get ahead of myself This has been alot of fun so far and my understanding of cane and its properties has increased in massive ammounts. It feels really good to make it this far and now the personal pressure if off!!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Default Re: In the string baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to the end result, I'm surprised you didn't scoop up those winding checks. I was going to buy them but got caught up in log splitting and forgot. The sale ended with no buyer.