The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 02:25 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: In the string baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I forgot too, I got side tracked with the binder issues and looked the other day and they were sold. Oh well maybe they get relisted.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:15 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: In the string baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well Williamhj got me inspired by his wicked rod for Dad so after sanding down the left over glue/thread I rubbed a coat of varnish on my little 4wt Banty. I also glued up the cork for the grips on the 6wt and Banty.
Click the image to open in full size.
The mottling is pretty wild on the Banty while the 6wt is definitely lighter in color tone but its still has some lovely dark spots and mottling.
Tomorrow I'll sand and rub another coat on and shape the cork and glue it up, blue the cap and ring, and hopefully start wrapping the guides when I come back from Pa.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:33 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Still a long ways off but getting closer everyday

William: I can't wait to see how those two cane rods come out, from the photos you have been posting it sure does look like your having a great time.

Larry

Larry
Old 10-29-2012, 08:13 AM

We're getting close now. Since I wasn't able to make it Penn. last weekend we played catch up this past weekend. We glued/pinned both the ferrules on the Clark's Creek and my Payne 79, fit the reel seats, along with bluing my seat hardware and turning the cork for the '79 grip and the Banty seat/grip. For the 6WT I chose a Bellinger 690 with Circassian Walnut insert that pops against the blued hardware and the Banty has a 4.5" grip ( that still need a bit of turning to thin it down just a hair) and cork seat with Garrison style cap/ring hardware that I'll blue sometime during the week. The Banty grip doesn't look to out of proportion with a 1394 mounted but I plan on finding something smaller in diameter so it needs a shaving and winding check.

Hopefully the 6WT will be ready to fish in 2 or 3 more weeks and the Banty in a week or so. This week I have to put together a dip tank and find a step motor to have myown dip tank set but I'll dip at my teachers house next weekend and wrap it during the following week dip it once more and once its cured for as long as my patience can hold out its time for baptisim!
jpbfly and williamhj like this.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

hats off!I'm admiring
Old 10-29-2012, 04:01 PM

williamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant future

Wow, looking good. I like the cork grip into the reel seat. Gotta feel great watching it all come together! Do you know what you're going to do for the wraps?
Old 10-29-2012, 04:51 PM

Thanks guys! I'll wrap them both in black silk but I'm going to take a cut off and see how black with a floating tip looks.
williamhj likes this.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:00 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Amazing work Bill!!! WOW...
Old 11-07-2012, 05:21 PM

Default Delayed!!!

Its kind of a bummer but I'm not going to be able to pick up my blank this weekend, hopefully next weekend though. The plus side is the varnish will have two weeks cure time on it and I'm not missing much. In the meantime I'll set my dip tank up and test a few different motor set ups, finish out the Banty and get in some more water time, though I've been spoiled on Cumberland Valley streams.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:55 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

They look awesome! Is mine ready yet?