The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 09:43 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Still a long ways off but getting closer everyday

Thanks guys, here's a sneak peek at the floating tip.
Click the image to open in full size.
imxer, Pocono, mcnerney and 3 others like this.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great job...wish I could do thatYour first outing with this baby will be an exciting moment
Old 11-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, your lettering looks fine!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 11-23-2012, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Time to Wrap!!!

Hey Bill,

I don't have the materials and I have not done this myself but............ I know that you can create (or buy) your own decals. I'm pretty sure (which means I think) there is a decal printing method that a guy can use to make his own signature decals for this kind of application. They are printed on a thin clear vinyl and you just put a coat of spar over them.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-23-2012, 04:56 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
BTW, your lettering looks fine!

Have to agree with FYSH, hand lettering gives it the traditional, classic look of cane.
fysh, mcnerney, Auntie Em and 1 others like this.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 11-23-2012, 10:05 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

The thing of it is, when it came out of the drying cabinet and got the compliments from my teacher, for context he's made rods for Best, Engle, Humphreys (I got to fish it too!), and a few other big names, I was like a 5 year old on Christmas morning! Combine that with a few cowboy cups of joe...my hand was as steady as a leaf in the breeze! I'm still blown away by not having any glue lines!
imxer, fysh and mcnerney like this.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:56 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

I, for one, am going to be sad when you complete this build! You've carried me along completely inthralled for the entire project. Excellent work!
newby likes this.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:50 PM

I just want to thank everyone for the encouragement and compliments. Its helped with keeping a positive vibe going through the process!
williamhj likes this.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:18 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time to Wrap!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Got hit with some drama, as per the norm during the Silly Season but I managed to wrap up the butt section today. Still undecided as to add the floating tip. I won't be sure till I get the tip section wrapped.

Yeah I know, I shouldn't be doing the signatures myself! What can I say I'm a lefty!
I use Sharpie Metallic paint marker to label my rods, the gold would look awesome on those blanks. I letter the blank after the first coat of finish, it give the lettering a "floating" look after I put a coat of finish over it. The best part is if you don't like how it looks you can wipe it off before it dries
Old 11-25-2012, 09:22 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Looking great! I like the wraps. It's gonna feel great the first time you take it on the water Thanks for the updates.