Still a long ways off but getting closer everyday

wt bash

Reaction score
A few have asked to see some of my progress making cane rods so here's where I'm at.

I still have quite a bit of work ahead of me but it feels good to get past what seems to be a pretty big hurdle for first time makers, splitting! From left to right are staggered and straightened strip for a 8' 6wt (single tip), a 4wt 4'11" Banty 1pc, the tip section for a 7' 4wt, and the final bundles are staggered but not yet straightened strips for a 8' 4wt 3pc. After this step the strips get squared up and run through a rougher or beveller, then bound for heat treating and final dressing of the nodes. Once I get that far the next steps are final planning and glued and bound again. I'll try and keep up with the pics as I go.

Last edited:

wt bash

Reaction score
Some more progress. Altough it really doesn't seem like it! I screwed up setting the forms for the butt section and learned a harsh lesson. Then after I corrected my mistake I reset the tip side of the forms and took one of the defunked butts and planed it down to the correct size. So I started with a fresh tip got it down within a few thousanths and learned very valuable lesson #2, DON'T WEAR LOOSE CLOTHES! After making a pass my sleeve edge caught the very tip and turned it into a mayfly tail. So I took a break did some tool tinkering and came back at it this afternoon and finished the 5 strips I had left found a matching replacement and will finish it up with a new set of butts before the weekend.
Here's one spline for a 6wt

And the mess I work in

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
You deserve much credit Bill, many people think that buying a graphite blank and components is "building a fly rod".
You are 'building a fly rod' for real :bowdown:

williamhj

Reaction score
Wow, very impressive. The more I learn about bamboo building, the more I realize that by the time I get the blank the real work is done. I look forward to more updates!

wt bash

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I wish the books I read mentioned the wrist issues that come with hand planing! By the time I get through 3 strips my mind starts wandering off to the Morgan Hand Mill or the Hand PLaners Friend but if I want to learn something I have to do it the hard way. Its all good practice, even the screw ups. I knew I was going to hit alot of problems but so far its been fun and I have great instruction so I don't feel too bad about screws. Everyone crawls before they walk. So provided I have no more foul ups tomorrow I should be ready to glue over the week end. After that ferruling/pinning, cork and seat, wrappings and the finish coats. To be honest, I'd say within a month or two I'll have one fishing.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Very cool that your doing this!:)

Just saw this thread today, I'll be watching for it now. Thanks for the update.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
WT: This is great, I was hoping you would share the progress on the bamboo rod building that you are doing with us, thanks!

Larry

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You deserve much credit Bill, many people think that buying a graphite blank and components is "building a fly rod".
You are 'building a fly rod' for real :bowdown:
Agree with Ard...once more:)I built a rod for fun last year:D ... but wouldn't be able to do what you do...I'm admiring:thmbup:

rasputinj

Reaction score
I have been working on a rod with my neighbor. My Sir D taper rod is glued up just waiting on my ferrules to show. It is pretty cool to put one together. I do think the planer's friend would help you out. Also set up a rough beveling system with a router. That takes care of rough planing. Please post more pictures of your progress.

wt bash

Reaction score
I'm trying to stay o top of the pics but most of the stuff is just a mess and wouldn't make a whole lot of sense, plus once I get moving its hard to remember the camera.
I had plans to make the Gathering this year but my trip to NY fell through which turned out to be a Godsend as I found a great teacher so each weekend I pack it up and head down to Cumberland Valley for my class.
Down the road I'm certainly going to invest in the MHM or HPF once I can really get comfortable with the ole Stanly 9 1/2. Its really a subtle art, working the plane. Don't push down, let the weight of the plane make the cut, the proper way to sharpen the blade, and the sound a sharp blade makes when you get a good chip going. The best sound though is when you reach the point of the blade hitting the forms, that means your done!! Its slow going but this is like nothing I've ever done before so I just take my time with it and walk away when I get burned out or frustrated. I'm sure once I get one in the string the confidence will go up and the next one will go alot smoother.

wt bash

Reaction score
Well the 6wt Gillum I planned to make is cursed! I got everything, tips and butt ready for glue but while I was fumbling around my bench I dropped a magic marker on one of the strips and crushed it! I tried to find another taper that might have worked but decided it best to cut my losses and start fresh. I'll save those strips for a lighter rod down the road but I picked the Payne Para79 its 6/7wt. I flamed, split, staggered, and straightened the strips today, tomorrow I'll run them through the rougher and start bringing the butt down to final dimensions. I'd like to get it in the string by the weekend and so log as the gremlins stay away it can happen. I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

wt bash

Reaction score
For once I didn't get caned today! I took yestarday to round up all the necessary parts to finally finish my beveler but thought to myself that for the first rod I rather like the idea of it being totally hand built. So today I hand roughed and planed to final dimensions the butt on the Payne 79. Call me crazy but I got and still have a deep sense of accomplishment doing this way. Kinda like commiting to the dry when there's no hatch and still popping a few. Here's some pics from todays labor of love, this rod when its done will literally be like a relative there's quite a bit of my own blood soaked into the power fibers as this stuff is razor sharp when you get it down to the finals.
Here's the tip of the butt, not a finish cut but just to show the hex.

Kind of a before and after although the unfinished strips are for the tip. I had to go oversized to avoid leaf nodes and bug holes.

All this is from 6 butt strips...

And the tools I used today, while down the road the beveler will most likely take over the roughing, for now I will stick with the hand roughing. I feel more connection with what I'm doing, yeah I know I'm a bit nutty!!

Tomorrow I'll finish up the tips and tube everything for the ride down to my teachers house for glue up. It really won't be long now, hopefully by the end of the month she'll be dipped, wrapped, and fishing lakerun bows/browns on the tribs. Now I'm off to ice my wrists and relax!!!!!

L

Liphookedau

Wt.
A Mammoth Task,I know what it's like as I worked as A Toolmaker for many years making Intricate Jigs & Fictures,I even with friends one time thought a couple of times at making a few Cane Rods however The Project didn't get much further.
The Cream will be when you get to Fish them.
Brian

wt bash

Reaction score
The tip is done without a cut, nick, or any other foul up!

Sorry for the poor pic but oh well, after this the rod will be brought down to Cumberland Valley to be glued up at my teachers house. After the glue is sanded and the blank cleaned up its on to ferruling, dipping, wrapping and finally fishing!!!! I've still got a 4wt 4'11" 1pc and a 8' 4wt 3pc that are waiting to be be roughed and finished but I've learned to take this stuff one small step at a time. When I get the chance I'll put together some photos in a step by step format so it all makes more sense. Thanks for watching!

fyshstykr

Reaction score
This is getting good!
Thanks for letting us follow your adventure. Can't wait to see the smile on your face with the first fish.:)

caseywise

Reaction score
although i dont know much about bamboo rods, this thread has me intrigued!
incredible(and painstaking) work your doing WT:D
i will be looking forward to your next post.
:thumbsupu

casey

O

okuma

In all seriousness Bill, I've been watching this thread. It's very infatuating. The more I watch, the more I realize this kind of work is outta my league of abilitiies. But on the lighter side. The water bottle in the pic. Tequila or water?:D

wt bash

Reaction score
Hahaha! I could have used a a shot or two when I was done! I'm leaving for the Valley in 45 miutes or so and about ready to explode! I feel like a little kid with a project I can't wait to show my teacher!