The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 12:48 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Still a long ways off but getting closer everyday

A few have asked to see some of my progress making cane rods so here's where I'm at.
Click the image to open in full size.

I still have quite a bit of work ahead of me but it feels good to get past what seems to be a pretty big hurdle for first time makers, splitting! From left to right are staggered and straightened strip for a 8' 6wt (single tip), a 4wt 4'11" Banty 1pc, the tip section for a 7' 4wt, and the final bundles are staggered but not yet straightened strips for a 8' 4wt 3pc. After this step the strips get squared up and run through a rougher or beveller, then bound for heat treating and final dressing of the nodes. Once I get that far the next steps are final planning and glued and bound again. I'll try and keep up with the pics as I go.
Hardyreels, fysh, Pocono and 5 others like this.

Last edited by wt bash; 09-26-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:30 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Still a long ways off but getting closer everyday

Some more progress. Altough it really doesn't seem like it! I screwed up setting the forms for the butt section and learned a harsh lesson. Then after I corrected my mistake I reset the tip side of the forms and took one of the defunked butts and planed it down to the correct size. So I started with a fresh tip got it down within a few thousanths and learned very valuable lesson #2, DON'T WEAR LOOSE CLOTHES! After making a pass my sleeve edge caught the very tip and turned it into a mayfly tail. So I took a break did some tool tinkering and came back at it this afternoon and finished the 5 strips I had left found a matching replacement and will finish it up with a new set of butts before the weekend.
Here's one spline for a 6wt

And the mess I work in
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You deserve much credit Bill, many people think that buying a graphite blank and components is "building a fly rod".
You are 'building a fly rod' for real
imxer likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-26-2012, 11:18 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, very impressive. The more I learn about bamboo building, the more I realize that by the time I get the blank the real work is done. I look forward to more updates!
Old 09-26-2012, 11:39 PM

Thanks guys! I wish the books I read mentioned the wrist issues that come with hand planing! By the time I get through 3 strips my mind starts wandering off to the Morgan Hand Mill or the Hand PLaners Friend but if I want to learn something I have to do it the hard way. Its all good practice, even the screw ups. I knew I was going to hit alot of problems but so far its been fun and I have great instruction so I don't feel too bad about screws. Everyone crawls before they walk. So provided I have no more foul ups tomorrow I should be ready to glue over the week end. After that ferruling/pinning, cork and seat, wrappings and the finish coats. To be honest, I'd say within a month or two I'll have one fishing.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Very cool that your doing this!

Just saw this thread today, I'll be watching for it now. Thanks for the update.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 09-27-2012, 07:41 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

WT: This is great, I was hoping you would share the progress on the bamboo rod building that you are doing with us, thanks!

Larry

Old 09-27-2012, 07:57 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Sure can't wait to see the finished product!
Old 09-27-2012, 08:30 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

My fishing partner has been attending the annual Catskill Rodmakers Gathering for the last 5 or 6 years. I thought that it was this weekend but apparently it's gone by.
He always comes back all inspired by what he's learned and then builds himself a new rod

18th Annual Catskill Rodmakers Gathering Largest in the World The Catskill Chronicle
Old 09-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
You deserve much credit Bill, many people think that buying a graphite blank and components is "building a fly rod".
You are 'building a fly rod' for real
Agree with Ard...once moreI built a rod for fun last year ... but wouldn't be able to do what you do...I'm admiring