The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 07:22 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! I can't stop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie_robs View Post
Looks good! I prefer the grip on the left, but they're both nice.
Thanks, I'm going with the one on the left. I one on the right will probably find a home as a split grip where I can break up that ugly white line.

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

Rough shaping in the fore grip is done. Now to choose a reel seat...
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by swirlchaser; 10-10-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:57 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

The butt wrap is done. Time for finish, glue up the seat and fore grip and guides.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:09 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Marco, that looks badass, and personally, I don't mind the white line running down the grip at all. As a college football fan, this idea shows loads of potential....

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-14-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Marco, that looks badass, and personally, I don't mind the white line running down the grip at all. As a college football fan, this idea shows loads of potential....
Thanks AJ, I got annoyed because I only wanted the line between the circles. I think I have the pattern figured out now but it's going to take twice the cutting and gluing. Now I need the motivation for that much work lol.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:25 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I don't quite know how to give you that motivation, but I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to seeing the results. I'd love to make a custom rod some time with a custom grip and everything, but not only have I been happy with the rods I buy fully assembled, but my fishing time is already severely limited between school and the new job. Affording an upcoming wedding in December is a noble goal and all but this cut to my fishing schedule is appalling. I miss fishing 4+ days a week As long as my fishing days are limited, I'll just have to get by by keeping track of the projects my friends are undertaking and documenting, like rod builds...

How's that for motivation?? And on an only slightly related note, I still need to make it out your way and meet up for some striper and bluefish mania!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-14-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
I don't quite know how to give you that motivation, but I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to seeing the results. I'd love to make a custom rod some time with a custom grip and everything, but not only have I been happy with the rods I buy fully assembled, but my fishing time is already severely limited between school and the new job. Affording an upcoming wedding in December is a noble goal and all but this cut to my fishing schedule is appalling. I miss fishing 4+ days a week As long as my fishing days are limited, I'll just have to get by by keeping track of the projects my friends are undertaking and documenting, like rod builds...

How's that for motivation?? And on an only slightly related note, I still need to make it out your way and meet up for some striper and bluefish mania!
No worries, the fishing time will come back to you. It comes and goes in waves, like the fish. Most built rods fit my needs too. I build them more for the craft than the rod. Thats why I don't build many flyrods, There isn't enough room for the thread and grip work on a flyrod. As for fishing the salt, let me know when you can get away I'll make time. I'm actually considering fighting a 15mph wind before work tomorrow morning and the fall run hasn't even started here yet

Last edited by swirlchaser; 10-14-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:18 AM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

incredible geometry! ...my main question is did you know how it would look turned before intial glue up or after...???

I have been a framing carpenter for over 40 years...lots of roofs with valleys,dormers ...lots of angles etc..also worked as a board draftsman too...so I can see in the third dimension pretty good... that glue up is insane looking???

my hats off to anyone that can see a project that complex all the way through...and come up with a beautiful end product...

after a spell check edit I also see the date of the last post...and your location...I hope you and your family are doing OK...

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac linne, slat coille is fiadh freach - mirle s nach do ghabh gidheal riamh nire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/

Last edited by silvertip8k; 12-29-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertip8k View Post
incredible geometry! ...my main question is did you know how it would look turned before intial glue up or after...???

I have been a framing carpenter for over 40 years...lots of roofs with valleys,dormers ...lots of angles etc..also worked as a board draftsman too...so I can see in the third dimension pretty goo... that glue up is insane looking???

my hats off to anyone that can see a project that complex all the way through...and come up with a beautiful end product...

after a spell check edit I also see the date of the last post...and your location...I hope you and your family are doing OK...
Thanks Ted! We're doing ok, we didn't get hit hard as most others. I can't take full credit I have friends in the rodbuilding world who have been playing with this stuff for a while. I also have a bin full of "mistakes" from other experiments. The glue up is the worst part, damn contact cement seems to get everywhere!
Old 12-29-2012, 10:25 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I got the new mudhole catalog the other day, is that your work on the cover?
Old 12-29-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I got the new mudhole catalog the other day, is that your work on the cover?
Nope. Yhe cork grips on the spinning rod with the silver/blue reel seat?