The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 02:26 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help! I can't stop!

As if I didn't have enough to do, I'm now experimenting with turning my own custom EVA grips. Once all the cutting, pasting, and turning is done this should create the illusion of Grey/Blue circles with white outlines running up and down the grip.
Click the image to open in full size.

This whole grip will be split down the middle, flipped and reglued so I get alternating half circles Blue/Grey and Grey/Blue. Boring down the center of a glue line should be fun. If this grip goes bad, that's where it's going to happen
Old 10-04-2012, 06:54 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Help! I can't stop!

WILD MAN!!! What glue do you use for the EVA? Pliobond or some kind of contact cement?
Old 10-05-2012, 06:01 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
WILD MAN!!! What glue do you use for the EVA? Pliobond or some kind of contact cement?
Two coats of contact cement on everything including my hands and somehow on my chin.
Guest1, Auntie Em and biggie_robs like this.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:06 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Two coats of contact cement on everything including my hands and somehow on my chin.
Yes indeed, contact cement always seems to get on the hands and everything else. LOL! I can't wait to see how this turns out, having a really hard time visualizing what it will look like.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Yes indeed, contact cement always seems to get on the hands and everything else. LOL! I can't wait to see how this turns out, having a really hard time visualizing what it will look like.
Basically all the hard edges you see now will be rounded over giving the illusion of a circle. Here's a friend of mine doing one. His blocks were larger giving him ovals. My pattern will give more a circle look and alternating colors.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:22 AM

OK guys the grips are done. The one on the right was the original plan. I like the way the colors are split but i don't like the way the white line runs completely through the grip. I turned the one on the left just in case. What do you guys think?
fysh, Pocono and Auntie Em like this.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:21 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Can I place my order now? That looks very cool! I'll take at least 3 on different weight rods since you cant stop. Great stuff Marco!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-10-2012, 01:22 PM

Thanks John! One of these is going on next years kayak rod. A 7' Seeker Inshore lite. Maybe I'll make an EVA flyrod grip over the winter. I've never fished a flyrod with a foam grip.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:50 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Used to be a LI company called Blue Dolphin made a moderate priced SW fly rod with a foam grip. Fun little stick for catching fluke and bottom stuff and it cleaned up nice. Nothing as elaborate as your grip but fun to fish .
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-10-2012, 07:12 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Looks good! I prefer the grip on the left, but they're both nice.