The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 09:42 AM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: How to repair broker blank near tip?

UPDATE: I had an old fiberglass fly rod I had not used in years so I went ahead and used that. The Fenwick upper section is open on the bottom so I could drop the splice into the bottom and use a wire to push it up to the break. I realized that one big advantage of using a short piece of an old rod is that it is tapered and will fit better into the two broken halves. Well I glued the halves together and used a temporary thread wrapping on the outside that I will now remove and replace. So far everything looks good.
I can buy special nylon rod wrapping thread and two part epoxy finish but I am eager to finish the job and not too happy about ordering something through the mail and waiting SO...more questions. All help appreciated.
1. These wrappings are to re-enforce the break, not just hold on a guide. Is size A thread correct? The special nylon thread made for rod builders is supposed to have longer thread fibers and hence is stronger- is that true or would nylon thread at a local fabric shop work the same?
2. One single wrap- is that enough or should I wrap once- put on three coats of finish and then a second wrap?
3. I thought that spar varnish would work but I see that two part epoxies are now used but you have to use a special dryer with them and it takes them forever to dry. Nail polish- I heard- might damage the surrounding rod finish. Someone said super glue would work. Is there a common product available at a local hardware store that works? Spar Varnish? Super glue, Etc. One trouble with spar varnish is if I have to get a huge amount (1 gallon can). If using the special rod building products makes a big difference then I guess I can get them but I was wondering if local, more easily purchased products will also work. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:07 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

With the thread you're just reinforcing the area so that it doesn't crack. One layer of thread will be fine and I'm sure that regular nylon sewing thread is as good as any.

For the finish, you need a flexible cement which is why most people use the rod finish. I'm sure that there are other flexible epoxies, but I can't name one.
Spar varnish works just as well but you'll have to apply multiple coats just to cover the thread wraps. The Ace Hardware brand comes in 1/2 pint cans and is very popular with many bamboo rod builders. Super glue will be absorbed and not cover the wraps. A nail polish finish coat has been recommended to me in the past, but I know from experience that it doesn't hold up.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:22 AM

Thanks, appreciate the help.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:19 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: How to repair broker blank near tip?

+1 to what RT said.

fae
Old 10-15-2012, 11:34 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I should add that rod finish takes somewhere around 45 minutes to set up enough so that it does not sag. You do not need a special "dryer". You can easily do this by hand. You just watch it and give it a 1/4 turn every minute or so at the beginning. Towards the end of the process, it's like every 5-10 minutes.
You do have to pay attention though.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Something I don't think we covered here; do you know how to start and finish a wrap? Once you see it done it's pretty simple but you better seek out some You Tube rod wrapping demos to see how it is done.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-15-2012, 03:29 PM

I think I am pretty well set, to finish you place a loop of thread down and wrap over it 5 times and run the wrapping thread through the loop and pull the loop to bring the end of the wrapping thread under those last 5 wraps and then trim. The only trouble I have is at the start- I wrap over the tag end five times but I have trouble getting it started.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:45 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

RipTide's got it.
I use broken pieces of graphite and fiber glass rods do these kind of repairs... also before you go through all of this it might not be a bad idea to contact Fenwick and see if you can't just get a replacement tip.
You maybe surprised that they will charge you minimum for the tip and or send it free + S&H.
I have done this with other companies (not Fenwick)...that's why I have pieces of broken rods on hand for when the repair is more cost efective.

Good luck.

Larry
Old 10-18-2012, 11:04 AM

Well, I used an old fly rod section for the inside and I have wrapped the outside but have not yet "painted" it. I bought some ACE hardware spar varnish. My plan is to space the coats about 2 1/2 days apart and put on 4 coats minimum- or until the finish looks okay.
Rip Tide likes this.