The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 11:49 AM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default How to repair broker blank near tip?

I was salmon fishing on the Salmon River in NY and on the last fish I landed I put the rod down and went to grab the salmon and it still had some fight in it and flipped and the rod was between some rocks (I didn't notice when I put it down) and- you guessed it- about 12" down from the tip the blank snapped in two.
It is a Fenwick Eagle, not a very expensive rod but I can use it for bass, etc if I can fix it. The broken halves fit together okay and I have done some net searches. It seems the deal is to make a hardwood dowell that fits into the two broken parts and glue that in place and then wind the exteior.
What is the best way to do this type of repair? Is a wood dowell the best or is a dowell made of other material better? What type of glue should be used? If you wind the outside, what type of thread and should it be covered with epoxy, etc? I understand using windings for a line guide but using winding for a broken blank doesn't seem right. Would a fiberglass patch around the outside be better? Thanks for any help.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:55 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to repair broker blank near tip?

You could do that, but you're going to get a total 'dead spot' in your rod. Fellow here in Medford does 'rod repairs' like that, but he uses a section of old graphite rod material so the rod keeps (as best possible) its bend.

That said, at 12" in, I think you/rod are 'toast.'
Old 10-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think wood is a good idea...agree with Fred...a piece from an old graphite or glass rod will be better.Stick both sides and don't forget a winding over the "junction"...if you do the tip will break again...
Old 10-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Check at a good hobby store for carbon fiber shafts. Take the section of hollow rod with so you can select the best size for the job. These shafts are used for kite frame builds and are pretty strong. I'm not saying that it'll be good as new but it'll beat wood.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-08-2012, 05:36 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Like Ard says you need to use a piece of fiberglass on the inside of the break. I've used graphite as well , but it's not as strong
It needs to be fitted carefully from the fat end of the blank section so that it fits tightly resembling a spigot ferrule.

Click the image to open in full size.

You glue it all together at this point with epoxy and then wrap it over with white rod building thread ( or some other synthetic thread) and then cover the wraps with rod finish. The white thread will become transparent under the rod finish and you'll barely know it's there
I save broke fishing poles just for this, but finding a piece with the proper diameter is key.
Hardyreels and fredaevans like this.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:11 AM

I never thought about using a section of another rod for the inside ferrule/splice. I think I have some old rods around that may work. As I said it is not an expensive rod and at first I just figured it was junk but then I got thinking about whether a repair was possible. As a "learning experience" I think I'll go ahead and try to fix it. Thanks guys for the help.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:32 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I've done this a few times. I haven't noticed any difference in the performance and you need to look very closely to even see the repair.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:40 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Follow Ard and Rip Tides advise. Make it a spigot ferrule. Use fiberglass.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:02 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

It works! I used the Riptide method on my Fenwick 11wt which had broken at the base. No problem . The key like he states is to have a piece that makes a snug fit when inserted.
Hardyreels likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-10-2012, 10:52 AM

The inside diameter is so small that I am thinking a different tactic. I can pull some strings of fiberglass from a fiberglass repair kit- stretch them out and paint them with resin/hardener- to make my own fiberglass "toothpick" which I can mount in a drill and turn/sand until it just fits inside the broken area- and then glue in place with more resin/hardener- and when dry-wind the thread on the outside- as stated. I was thinking I might also wet the outside surface with resin/hardener before putting on the thread and lay down a few longitudinal strands of figerglass and let dry and then wind over that. The repair would be all glass so hopefully a little flexible. As I said, this would not be a rod for long casts- I could use it for bass fishing, etc- the main thing is a repair that wouldn't break.