The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 11:38 AM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future
Default Re: Rod for Dad

Time for my son to learn rod building ! Great present! Lucky Dad!
williamhj likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-24-2012, 03:20 PM

reed22 is on a distinguished road

that handle is awesome, jealousy ensues!
Old 10-24-2012, 04:30 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Your dad is a lucky man.That is a fantastic job.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:59 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

How many have you built? I'd like to make my dad one but have never done it, curious how many it takes to get good?

That thing is awesome, btw
williamhj likes this.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:26 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewalker1013 View Post
How many have you built? I'd like to make my dad one but have never done it, curious how many it takes to get good?

That thing is awesome, btw
Thanks for the complement! I have about 11 under my belt. The basics actually aren't that hard, just have to be willing to put the time and effort in and not be afraid to mess up, cut off a wrap and redo it. When you finish a rod you'll find little mistakes and things you can improve on but the rod will fish just fine and you'll have a great sense of ownership. I have learned things with each rod and that makes the next one better. I don't think that learning will ever end.

Check out some of the other rods builders have posted, there are some very skilled folks on the forum. It's been a great resource for me. If you want to give it a whirl, go for it! Many people are here to help.
Auntie Em likes this.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:56 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

beautiful work william. your dad will love it for sure

casey

ARFE
Old 10-25-2012, 09:47 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Beautiful! Of all my rods,( and, yes there are "all" meaning way too many!), my most very favorite grip is my birch bark. Far and above any of the others, it's comfortable all day, actually warms in your hand, and never ceases to bring a smile to my face.
Your Dad's going to be one happy Dude!
williamhj likes this.