The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 04:16 PM

jhawkins is on a distinguished road
Default Sage SPL 181-3 rod build - Anyone want to help ?

Hi guys,
I'm in a bit of a situation. I broke my favorite rod, a sage spl 181-3 that I bought on CL. Since it was originally purchase as a blank and custom built, sage only replaced it with another blank. I'm not a rod builder, and really don't have time to learn such an involved skill.

So I'm looking for someone who is an accomplished enough rod builder that's got some spare time on their hands to complete my sage rod. I understand that rod building isn't easy, and that it is time consuming. However, there's not a lot in the budget to have this rod built. Any recommendations ?

There's no time limit, and I wouldn't mind if it took all winter to complete. I'd be happy to pay for shipping and parts of course, and a bit for your time, though not as much as I would need to pay a professional. I don't expect mastery and a perfect rod. I will appreciate your artistic input in selecting the components, or I could select them myself.

Thanks in advance !

Justin
Old 12-11-2012, 11:10 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sage SPL 181-3 rod build - Anyone want to help ?

Justin, I'm sorry I missed this post and I'm surprised no one responded. There are quite a few accomplished builders here that I'm sure can advise you if not directly help you out.

I'm also sorry to hear about your SPL! What a shame! I have a 282-3 SPL, love that little stick. I am hoping with this bump that some others will see this string and jump in.

If not, I am willing to consider helping you build his rod up. I just bought a blank and have one rod build on the schedule, but I'd love to do another if time permits. Feel free to use the personal message by clicking on my name if you want to send a PM.

O and...welcome to the forum!!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:16 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I wish I had the the time I love putting rods together! I have way too much on my plate right now to take on anymore projects and am having a time getting my own rods finished. I'm sure there's another couple few guys here that would help as Dean MT said.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:55 AM

dsmith1427 is on a distinguished road

I am starting my third build and I really enjoy the process. PM me some pictures of the rod so I can see the thread wraps etc and let me know your expectations. I can send you some pictures of my work. Maybe I can help.

Don
Old 12-11-2012, 01:24 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Ya know what? I think if you were to re-ask this question AFTER the first of the year, you'd get more responses on building your rod. Christmas time finds a lot of us with way too much on our plates. The desire is there ... the time, not so much!

Another thing, it's really not that difficult to build out a rod. No, really! Em