The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 12:17 AM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Three days stuck inside produced 3 rods I'll probably never use :(

It must take a lot of patience to wrap a rod like this! Does the thread do anything to the action of the rod in any way?
Old 11-05-2012, 12:54 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Really good thread work. You must not have done much else to get that much done in three days. That or you are way faster at it than I am. I like the choice of thread colors a lot in photo 2 and 3. It's really nice of you to give them to guys wiped out by the storm. Nice move.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:46 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Nice work, that totally beats what I did over my weekend, which involved netflix and my couch.
swirlchaser likes this.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:51 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Marco: Fantastic work, don't think I have ever seen thread wrapping as good as your doing, congrats! Even better that your considering giving them away to someone in need. Glad your doing fine, the devastation in the NE is hard to believe.

Larry
swirlchaser likes this.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:55 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chased View Post
It must take a lot of patience to wrap a rod like this! Does the thread do anything to the action of the rod in any way?
I do believe the decorative wraps and the amount of epoxy it takes to cover them changes the action a bit. This is why I don't do elaborate wraps on fly rods. On spinning, casting, and Spey rods I don't think it's noticable.

---------- Post added at 09:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Really good thread work. You must not have done much else to get that much done in three days. That or you are way faster at it than I am. I like the choice of thread colors a lot in photo 2 and 3. It's really nice of you to give them to guys wiped out by the storm. Nice move.
Thanks Dan, you can see by the crossing points on the close ups I run up to 6 threads at a time when I can. It helps them close alot faster.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:52 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

I keep finding myself drawn back to the pictures of these blanks you wrapped! Really, really beautiful.
swirlchaser likes this.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:03 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

That is amazing work! Wow. Where does one learn those techniques...even just the basics of those pattern wraps? Is there a good DVD or Book or ???

Beautiful!
Old 11-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

outstanding job Marco...I Admire the result but also your patience
swirlchaser likes this.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:59 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
I keep finding myself drawn back to the pictures of these blanks you wrapped! Really, really beautiful.
Thank you Auntie Em
Old 11-07-2012, 03:04 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Marco,

Glad you & yours are OK, the thread work is like I have never seen.

Ard
Agree about the thread work! It's art.

Do you have pics of the whole rods; so we can see where the thread work starts and ends?

Pocono