The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 03:16 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three days stuck inside produced 3 rods I'll probably never use :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
That is amazing work! Wow. Where does one learn those techniques...even just the basics of those pattern wraps? Is there a good DVD or Book or ???

Beautiful!
Thank you Dean. The great thing about it is there are only two patterns for wrapping thread, the cross and the box. Where you start and what direction you go in will determine the pattern. This is an awesome book with detailed instructions and lots of patterns. The author is also a great guy and good friend of mine, many rod builders learned from this book and still use it.
Decorative Wraps by Billy Vivona | mudhole.com

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Agree about the thread work! It's art.

Do you have pics of the whole rods; so we can see where the thread work starts and ends?

Pocono
Thanks Pocono! I spent the day back home doing storm clean ups. I'll take some pics in the morning when I get back to my apartment.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:49 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry about the pics, best i could do with my cel phone.
Seeker Super Tog
Click the image to open in full size.
9' St.Croix surf rod.
10-20lb Largemouth rod

---------- Post added at 07:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 AM ----------

Went old school with the Super Tog guides. Full base wraps and olive branches.
Auntie Em and gatortransplant like this.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:15 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Man I wish I knew you while I still lived back there! That tog rod is smoking!
Old 11-08-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Man I wish I knew you while I still lived back there! That tog rod is smoking!
Thanks bro! You know the Tog rods have to over the top. Everyone's at the rail and everyone has time to look around. Lol
Old 11-08-2012, 09:28 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Hell yeah they do! That and offshore jigging rods, my favorite way to hook the yellowman!
Old 11-08-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Hell yeah they do! That and offshore jigging rods, my favorite way to hook the yellowman!
Unfortunately work has kept me from Tuna fishing for two seasons now My gear is getting dusty and the itch is unbearable! Especially with friends sending me pictures. Next year I'll quit my job if I have to, but I will fish those speed demons.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:05 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
That is amazing work! Wow. Where does one learn those techniques...even just the basics of those pattern wraps? Is there a good DVD or Book or ???

Beautiful!
I learned from a book named 'Custom Rod Thread Art' by Dale Clemens. It was out of print for a while but I guess they ran some more off. If you take the time to read the instructional portion, and then do a bunch of them you start to understand how not only they work, but how to create your own patterns.