The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 04:08 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default look what just arrived...

Time to start buying the components, thread and machinery to put this baby together. Maybe a book or two to get me started as well.

Pretty excited.
My plan is as follows.

White Kabuto 8053
Cork grip and reel seat
Snake guides with green agate stripping guides
Green wraps tipped with gold (hey i'm irish)

watch this space for build progress..

Eunan

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Pocono, mcnerney, Guest1 and 2 others like this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-20-2012, 04:18 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I will definitely be watching this one! Are you gonna do a feather inlay, given your love of classic streamers?

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-20-2012, 04:19 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Default Re: look what just arrived...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
I will definitely be watching this one! Are you gonna do a feather inlay, given your love of classic streamers?
i thought about it.

One the one i got built that i sent back i asked about an indian crow feather, but it never materialized.

Over time i've come to not like the feather inlay...its just gonna be minimal as possible i hope!

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-20-2012, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Nice,

I actually started picking up components for a new glass rod myself. I have an odd way of doing a rod, first I buy a vintage reel in new condition and then I figure I should have a rod for it. Next I bought this really cool clasp and hoop hook keeper and then shopped out some agate stripper guides and snakes. I'll have to settle in on a blank before ordering the grip so I know the bore but I'm moving in that direction

I'll watch the thread,

Ard
Rip Tide and Auntie Em like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-20-2012, 05:23 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I look forward to following your build!
Old 11-20-2012, 05:27 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

If his fly rod builds are anywhere near as perfect as his flies, then that will be one awesome custom rod!
Rip Tide likes this.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:04 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Just a suggestion but I would go white silk on the guide wraps with a fine 5 turn tip of Kelly Green but test a few on the butt where it'll fall under the cork to get your colors right. Save the gold for the cork wraps and ferrule wraps. Definitely invest in a razorwand and try and find cork with a big bore and you may need your reel seat supplier to set you up with a custom bored insert, I'm surprised Kabuto doesn't add the spigot in the butt to accommodate reel seats.
Hardyreels, mcnerney and Auntie Em like this.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Eunan: I can't wait to see how this new glass rod turns out!

Larry

Larry
Old 11-21-2012, 12:17 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Sweet, this will be fun to watch! But I'm afraid it may cut into your fan-wing dry fly tying, which I was also excited to follow.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Sweet, this will be fun to watch! But I'm afraid it may cut into your fan-wing dry fly tying, which I was also excited to follow.
Ha ha

dont worry, the hackles are on order for the fan wings. I"ll get them done before i start the rod

Addicted To Vise