The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By dean_mt
  • 1 Post By baitwaister
  • 1 Post By oarfish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 12:28 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Snake guide questions and thoughts; Recoils?

Reading the current thread that SweetandSalt has going, along with my planning (beginning to obsess) to put together a new rod this winter has me spending too much time researching guide options.

I am leaning to a Sage ESN 10' 3wt. The Sage chart calls for 1t (light wire) double foot snakes for the first 5 guides, then 1, 2, 3, 4. I am considering (gasp) single footers. They recommend going up 2 sizes.

I like the REC Recoil, in theory. My apprehension to single foots has been catching one on something and bending/breaking it, even though I've never broken a guide. I also want to go with black, and Recoil has a very nice looking black pearl. But the single foot blackies are recommended for 5wt and above, though they are size 1. What gives? Would a size 1 single foot Recoil standard wire be two step up from a 1t double foot? I don't know. I know I'll probably have to send an inquiry to them. But I'm always skeptical of being sold.

So if anyone has experience with using these guides, I would really appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:32 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Snake guide questions and thoughts; Recoils?

I have used single foot guides on rods before. I have never had a problem with them. I have never used the recoil guides though. I just didn't like the way they look.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:35 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Do the recoil guide sizes match snake sizing? I haven't used recoils but remember I had to adjust guide sizing when I did singles on a rod.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:14 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I have used single foot guides on rods before. I have never had a problem with them. I have never used the recoil guides though. I just didn't like the way they look.
Do you mean the doubled coil look? They are different. This is the image from Hook&Hackle for the single foot. What? I am I crazy?
Click the image to open in full size.

The black single foots that are pictured on the REC website look pretty normal.
Click the image to open in full size.
Or are these not the spring back type? I'm confused by these and the REC website really has no info, just pictures and pricing.

William, this is my main question. I'll have to email the company and ask. Like their website says, the black single foot #1 is recommended for 5wt and above. But not the chrome #1. I don't get it.
williamhj likes this.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:53 AM

baitwaister will become famous soon enough

I have used the recoils. There sizing for the single foot fly guides is the same for snake style. Some things about the recoils, They have a singing when casting that bothers some people, the smaller sizes are diffucult to wrap because they like to bend while wrapping, hard to adjust for same reason and they are pricey especially the black pearls. I generally do not use them unless someone specifically states that those are what they want.Where I do use them if someone says that they do a lot of winter fishing and ice up is a problem, because you can run your hands down the guides and the ice just falls off because they bend. I prefer to use Minnima 4's and I believe they are now available in black frames.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:01 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitwaister View Post
ice up is a problem, because you can run your hands down the guides and the ice just falls off because they bend.
That's pretty cool. I didn't think they were that flexible. Good to know.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:11 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Your building it Dean, you should build it with what ever floats your boat, I never paid any attention to what manufactures think I should or not do.

Rick
dean_mt likes this.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:28 AM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

I think the recoil thing looks cool...but my question are the wraps and epoxy going to take the bending as well?? I guess its an option to keep you fishing if you had some sort of mishap...

actually I would use them only because they look cool...no other reason...and as far as what snakes and strips to use...its what you think looks best...they all function OK...I have just started to try out the ss strips w/ gold ring inserts on some bamboo speys...for no other reason than they look really cool...

I have single and double snake rods that are 40 years old and older... fiberglass and bamboo...they all still fish fine...

sometimes this all can get a little to micro managed for me...just do what you like...a sage blank is big $$...so maybe use something a little fancier than normal...??

good luck...winter has set in here...time to tie and build...

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/