The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 05:01 PM

barham will become famous soon enough
Default Replacing the insert of a stripping guide

I have a problem. I have an older TFO Professional 9' 9wt two piece rod. It has not been used for a awhile; while checking it the other day, I see that the insert in the first stripping guide is gone and lost. The inside measurement of the metal circular frame is 3/4'. I know I could simply remove the metal frame and replace it with another stripping guide but hesitate to cut into the old wrapping.
Is the a place where I can purchase merely the insert and glue it into the metal frame?
Thanks for any help.
barham
Old 12-03-2012, 05:27 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Replacing the insert of a stripping guide

Had a similiar problem. After some research found my only option was to purchase another stripping guide and pop the insert out of it and put it in the one without one . Seems you can always buy guides but not the inserts!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 12-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

The best way to do it is to replace the whole guide. If you know someone that builds rods it should be fairly cheap to have it done and if they are good, you should not be able to tell it has ever been worked on.

If you do rod building yourself, you can use a hair dryer to soften up the flexcoat and remove it with your thumbnail. Cut on top of the foot only with an exacto knife. Treat the blank like it has a detonation device hidden in the finish.

You may also want to call the rod company and see what they say before you do any of the above.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:29 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
The best way to do it is to replace the whole guide. If you know someone that builds rods it should be fairly cheap to have it done and if they are good, you should not be able to tell it has ever been worked on.

If you do rod building yourself, you can use a hair dryer to soften up the flexcoat and remove it with your thumbnail. Cut on top of the foot only with an exacto knife. Treat the blank like it has a detonation device hidden in the finish.

You may also want to call the rod company and see what they say before you do any of the above.
Love that one!! There are only so many ways of sayin, "be careful" .... this says it SO much better!