The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide
  • 3 Post By Guest1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 02:11 PM

cowger10 will become famous soon enoughcowger10 will become famous soon enough
Default Thinking of building a rod

I have a cabela's blank kit for a while now and I am wondering where to start and how to find the spine on a four piece blank set. I was just wondering the ideas you guys had
thanks
Ryan
Old 12-06-2012, 02:26 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Thinking of building a rod

It's against NAFFF policy to hot link to other forums, but this is where I learned
So don't tell anybody

"Build Your Own Graphite Rod"
Auntie Em likes this.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:13 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of building a rod

I've found that on a 4 piece blank, finding it on the top sections isn't too tough. Individually put the tips on a table, flex the blank and roll it over until you find the spot it wants to settle. On the butt section and sometimes the section above the butt section it's sometimes harder to get much flex.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:36 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

The best way to do it is one piece at a time. Put a piece of masking tape around each piece and then set it in your stands with just the tips of the piece resting on it. Push down on the center and turn till you feel where it wants to stop. Mark the center of the top side of the tape. Be precise as you can. Put all the pieces together with the marks lined up when you are done and respine the whole thing together. Usually you don't need to do much readjusting but if you have it way out of whack recheck each piece. Once I get it all lined up I generally build it while it's together.

Most factory rods are built on what's called straightest visual line. No blank is perfectly straight. they line up the pieces so all the curve is in one direction, then with the curve going up put the guides on the down side of the curve. (outside of the curve) This makes gravity and the weight of the guides pull it out so it looks straight. This is because of the way people buy rods. Go to any tackle or fly shop and look at what virtually everyone does when they look at a rod. They pick it up, give it a good wiggle, then eye down the rod. This is to help sell rods but the worst way to build a rod. In the poll I put on here with very little success, I had a choice for 'busted right in front of the grip'. That should probably and may have been 4 or 5 in. in front of the grip. What happens there is the blank tries and twists when it is bent except on the spine. For those of you who have set a hook and snapped a rod just in front of the grip, you are the victim of a badly spined rod.
imxer, Auntie Em and theboz like this.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:09 AM

cowger10 will become famous soon enoughcowger10 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the great advice guys I will let you know how the progress is going.