The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dean_mt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 11:26 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Got it! Sage XP 596-2

I'm pretty happy to have found this blank and then buy it for under my max bid on the fleabay. Time to buy some components and plan this one out!
chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:37 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got it! Sage XP 596-2

Congratulations John...

Please keep us posted on the materials and colors selected as you progress. Have myself always thought about sanding down a cork grip and gluing 1/2" birch strips length ways on top, but then no one ever accused me of having any talent either.

Dave
Old 12-11-2012, 01:30 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

What? Sand down the cork grip and glue 1/2 inch birch strips length ways on top? Huh?? Having a hard time picturing this. Details please!!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:02 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
What? Sand down the cork grip and glue 1/2 inch birch strips length ways on top? Huh?? Having a hard time picturing this. Details please!!

Think of a birch bark canoe or of wrapping the handle in bark.

Dave
Old 12-12-2012, 10:16 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Oh, my!
Can the bark be safely laminated to the cork? I have grips wrapped in rattan (really kewl!!) and a favorite that is birch bark (traditional method), but I'm anxious to see what yours looks like finished off! Keep me posted!
Em

Oh, wait ... you'll wrap the bark around the grip top to bottom (like the rattan), or straight top to bottom?
Old 12-12-2012, 10:48 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Congrats! Good luck on your project!

Cheers,
Mike.