The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 07:50 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Last minute Christmas gift.

Is the brush the secret to getting a nice level coat on such a long wrap like that?
Old 12-25-2012, 08:02 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Is the brush the secret to getting a nice level coat on such a long wrap like that?
I actually use cheap, throwaway brushes. That wrap has 3 light coats of finish on it and I'll probably give it one more when I put the second coat on the guides. My first coat just barely covers the threads. Once that's dry I'll take a razor to it and cut out any high spots. A high spot on the base coat will just continue to take on more epoxy and get even higher so you have to check it after every coat. A little bit of heat while it's turning will also help level the epoxy as it dries. I use a heat gun, or an alcohol lamp.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:22 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I forgot you use epoxy. I basically do the same with vanish and haven't had many issues with glass blanks being round but the varnish likes to creep away from the apexes of the cane and ofcourse if you put it on too thick you get the damned orange peel. I think I have one more coat to do and my 6wt should be done finally! I do three then a light sanding after I razor the high points and then just keep going till I'm happy so its one coat and then wait three flippin days to sand and so on. I gotta be traditional huh!?!
Old 12-25-2012, 08:27 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I forgot you use epoxy. I basically do the same with vanish and haven't had many issues with glass blanks being round but the varnish likes to creep away from the apexes of the cane and ofcourse if you put it on too thick you get the damned orange peel. I think I have one more coat to do and my 6wt should be done finally! I do three then a light sanding after I razor the high points and then just keep going till I'm happy so its one coat and then wait three flippin days to sand and so on. I gotta be traditional huh!?!
Varnish is a lot less forgiving. I've dabbled in woodworking and the varnish was always the most stressful step. I usually keep a few rods in progress so I don't sit there watching a rod dry. Luckily in 18-24 hours epoxy is usually dry.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:36 PM

I did alot of bright work in yards from San Diego to back in Lukesy's Leonardo and never had the headaches with MOW that I do finishing rods. It is what it is but I definitely get the long wait period involved with ordering one now. It's just as well I'll not be on the water for a bit. Although I did finish up the banty and that's just waiting for a line. Maybe its time to buck tradition!
Old 12-26-2012, 12:31 PM

Go for it WT!

I posted a SBS in the rodbuilding forum. Hopefully it will get you guys wrapping as well.