The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 05:59 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inserts: wood vs. graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Wood if it's a custom built rod for freshwater. Joel Lemke has some of the nicest.
This one went on a 2wt. Sage I built a couple years ago.
Click the image to open in full size.
Tha Buckeye burl is some pretty stuff. I have used stabilized Buckeye burl quite a bit. The hardware on that seat looks really nice to.
Hardyreels and noreaster like this.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:55 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Tha Buckeye burl is some pretty stuff. I have used stabilized Buckeye burl quite a bit. The hardware on that seat looks really nice to.
Dan, that is bronzed aluminum. Looked great with the dark green blank.

For Ard- Fiberglass Flyrodders • Limited Run Lemke Reel Seats

joel lemke reel seats - Bing Images what's funny is the picture of the Sage and buckeye burl seat is there. Can't miss the blue tape...

Too bad Joel doesn't have a website. You have to admit- a hell of a lot nicer looking than graphite.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:03 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Gotta say with the selection of stabilized exotic woods available now, they really make a classy touch to a custom rod. I would gladly pass up the little more weight to get that warm natural look when ever possible.
Some exotic woods are not even that dense and heavy.

---------- Post added at 07:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Love that set up. The bronzed hardware looks killer.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:15 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

So where do you find these Lemke seats, Mojo? Can't find them for sale anywhere or even a mention how to go about inquiring. Kinda weird in our day and age.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:23 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I don't build fly rods but if I did I would use wood on all my trout rods. I simply love the look of a fine piece of wood surrounded by polished nickel. I'm actually dismayed at some of the new trout rods and the reel hardware that has been put on them, such as the new Sage One and the awful reel seat on the Hardy with that woven look.

One of my Sage LL's - an older 389-2 with GII blank has a downlocking slip ring wooden reel seat. I love that look. My first fly rod was two slip rings on cork, which holds a special place for me, although I don't own any now.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:43 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
So where do you find these Lemke seats, Mojo? Can't find them for sale anywhere or even a mention how to go about inquiring. Kinda weird in our day and age.
You could try Mike at Pioneer Anglers.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:34 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

As long as it looks half way decent and feels good on the rod, I don't care what it is. Those Lemke seats are beautiful. A lot of custom glass builders are using them. As you can tell by the mediocre iPhone picture, I don't have a personal preference.

-Chase
Old 12-19-2012, 11:38 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I like the variety, Chase. And you attitude. You've got one of about every style seat there! Now you need a new rod for one of the machined "cut-away" style seat. The Loomis Whispercreek has a very nice looking style. What do you all think about those?

Have any of you seen the seat on the new Loomis NRX that REC made for them? Sweet.