The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 10:16 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Inserts: wood vs. graphite

So I've been hearing some loud comments about using wood vs. woven graphite inserts from some of the members here, guys who's opinions and knowledge I respect.

But I'm wondering if it's more than a generational issue. Is a wood insert really that more functional than graphite? I tend to worry that aside from the very best, that unless the wood pieces are the best and finished to a very high level that they will not last as long. They get worn, gouged and scratched with normal use. Water penetrates and eventually ruins it. Granted, I've yet to experience this with the wood insert on my rod I've used for a dozen years.

But why the resistence? Something new?

Many of the new rods I've looked at, at least the Loomis NRX w/ a $700 price tag come with graphite inserts and anodized reel seats. Are they cutting costs (hard to imagine) or just moving forward?

Last edited by dean_mt; 12-17-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:24 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inserts: wood vs. graphite

I put wood on 5wt and lower and metal on 6wt and higher. Fits with reels I want and wrap colors I choose as well. No reason other than the aesthetics I like on a rod
fredaevans likes this.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:35 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i have rods with both wood and the woven seats and really could care less as long as the rod balances and casts well.
i also have the all metal seats that i like as well.
as long as its well constructed,balances the rod and looks good (eye of the beholder) i'll take it.
i have always loved the look of exotic hardwoods and maple burrules, as well as the new composite seats with the graphics and/or logos....
however, the new hardy seats are a bit overboard (and i like progressive designs), but we'll see. i'm sure they'll grow on me soon enough

casey

ARFE
Old 12-17-2012, 11:20 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have put wood in a lot of stuff. My 10 wt. Winston has a stabilized wood insert. It has never given me the slightest problem and that rod is not even close to new. I must have built it at least 9 or 10 years ago.
Click the image to open in full size.

I have a lot of wood in my 15' 8/9 wt. Meiser, but it's not stabilized. I need to work on the finish if I fish it alot when it's really cold. No problems when it's warm. Not sure why the temperature makes a difference but it does.
My 5 wt has stabilized wood and looks as good as the day I built it 12 or 13years ago.
If I had the choice I'd never use anything but stabilized wood. It is a bit spendy though. Just make sure if you use a wood that isn't stabilized you get the entire inside good with epoxy when you glue it up and that includes the ends. A good finish on the outside and you should never have a problem.

Oh and by the way, the only place on my Meiser I have finish issues when it's cold is on the lower grip where my hand is when casting.
mcnerney, jpbfly, dean_mt and 1 others like this.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:35 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Thanks guys.

Wood is good!

And still weighing my options...I'd really like to find one home for all the components and just one shipping bill.
williamhj likes this.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:53 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
..I'd really like to find one home for all the components and just one shipping bill.
Good luck on that one. I have not managed the one stop shop in my last ..... I'm not sure how many rods.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:32 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I hear that! Usually my orders go through Angler's Workshop, Bellinger, Rushbrook Strand, J Stockard, JD Wagner and so on!
Old 12-18-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Good luck on that one. I have not managed the one stop shop in my last ..... I'm not sure how many rods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I hear that! Usually my orders go through Angler's Workshop, Bellinger, Rushbrook Strand, J Stockard, JD Wagner and so on!
I have slowly come to accept the fact. It sucks because all these sites have sooo many components, pieces and parts. I think we are generally spoiled with too many options, in nearly all decisions we make, from toilet paper to peanut butter. O well...
Old 12-18-2012, 11:10 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I've used Angler's Workshop since the '60's. One other to add to the list above is a place called 'Mudhole.' Why they chose that name is beyond me. Just shipped over two boxes of rod building supplies to the UK. Guy got very good deals from both.

Fred
Old 12-18-2012, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Got both...no problemsjust think wood is nicermaybe because I'm a bit oldschool