The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rod Building (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rod-building/)
-   -   A spanking new 596 XP (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rod-building/305742-spanking-new-596-xp.html)

dean_mt 12-20-2012 05:41 PM

A spanking new 596 XP

Some of you have been helping to guide my decisions, from assuring me that the XP is all it's cracked up to be to component choices and where to find them. Thanks.

The blank arrived in the mail on Tuesday, a real beauty of a 2 piece. I like the deep deep green, almost black.

Today I finally decided on the main components and made the order ... I found a good deal at Dan Craft on a discontinued REC reel seat that is just about exactly what I wanted. Uplocking, recessed front hood, machined rear hood (not fitted), and knurled twin lock rings. Just under $40 with a stabilized composite wood spacer, fine by me!

While he had me on the phone and for the $6.00 shipping I figured I better add a set of guides for no additional shipping. And DC has the best price on Recoils I could find, so I got a set of heavy wire, double-foot snakes. But not the stripper.

Next up, cork rings and I should be ready to wrap and roll!

sweetandsalt 12-20-2012 07:45 PM

Re: A spanking new 596 XP

Next we talk thread and trim color...or should we leave that up to you? And I don't like hook keepers...maybe that is the Salt in me. Are you buying a pre-formed grip or glueing up and turning rings?

williamhj 12-20-2012 07:52 PM

Gotta glue up the rings :) Look forward to following your progress!

dean_mt 12-20-2012 09:18 PM

Don't worry William, I will be glueing cork rings and turning the handle. It's my favorite part! I am considering adding a one burl ring at the seat, or else maybe a couple narrow bands down near the end.

Here's a question for someone with experience: how difficult is it to bore the reel seat recess into a burl ring? I've always bought the bottom ring to fit the seat. If it sounds too tricky - mind you I do not have a lathe, I will be doing the gerry-rigged drill method - I'll just buy a pre-cut ring and maybe add a couple narrow burl rings. Don't know yet.

S&S: I'm with you and will not be wrapping a hook keeper on this rod. I never use them.

The guy at Dan Craft tried to steer me away from the Recoils and sounded like he wouldn't even sell me the light wire style if I wanted them! He said he replaces a lot of the light wire variety, they don't break, but flex so much that they slip out of wraps. And the single footers are even worse. He did add that it is generally from guys showing them off to a buddy: "watch how much these flex and bend...oops!" Plus the light wires are the "singers." The heavy wire is actually lighter than the standard chromed SS guides. Good guy, I appreciated his advice in not selling me those even though they are more expensive.

As for colors ... pfff ... don't know yet. I'm open to any suggestion. In the past I've always gone with a color that matches the blank pretty closely. But I do kind of like what Loomis did with the NRX and that sky blue thread, not that I am going to do that. And I dislike gold, there will be not gold trim on my rods!

littledavid123 12-20-2012 09:41 PM

Good stuff John...

Have you looked at the Struble onyx stripping guides, he makes them in several different colors. I have my eye on the emerald green for the Far & Fine.

Dave

dean_mt 12-20-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littledavid123 (Post 508867)
Good stuff John...

Have you looked at the Struble onyx stripping guides, he makes them in several different colors. I have my eye on the emerald green for the Far & Fine.

Dave

I haven't seen those, Dave. You're reconsidering agate? What color is the blank, aren't the gray?

Here is the REC seat:

http://www.anglersworkshop.com/media...rec_rgml_1.jpg

littledavid123 12-20-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dean_mt (Post 508869)
I haven't seen those, Dave. You're reconsidering agate? What color is the blank, aren't the gray?

Here is the REC seat:

http://www.anglersworkshop.com/media...rec_rgml_1.jpg

Very nice reel seat...The blank hasn't come in yet to verify but it looks to be a greenish grey.

Dave

wt bash 12-21-2012 10:07 AM

I've never worked with burled cork before so I really don't know but thinking about the weird "grain" I might take a scrap piece and see how it takes to being bored or see how a hole works. I'd ask williamhj as he just finished that sweet rod for his wife with an all burled cork grip.

swirlchaser 12-21-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dean_mt (Post 508856)
Don't worry William, I will be glueing cork rings and turning the handle. It's my favorite part! I am considering adding a one burl ring at the seat, or else maybe a couple narrow bands down near the end.

Here's a question for someone with experience: how difficult is it to bore the reel seat recess into a burl ring? I've always bought the bottom ring to fit the seat. If it sounds too tricky - mind you I do not have a lathe, I will be doing the gerry-rigged drill method - I'll just buy a pre-cut ring and maybe add a couple narrow burl rings. Don't know yet.

S&S: I'm with you and will not be wrapping a hook keeper on this rod. I never use them.

The guy at Dan Craft tried to steer me away from the Recoils and sounded like he wouldn't even sell me the light wire style if I wanted them! He said he replaces a lot of the light wire variety, they don't break, but flex so much that they slip out of wraps. And the single footers are even worse. He did add that it is generally from guys showing them off to a buddy: "watch how much these flex and bend...oops!" Plus the light wires are the "singers." The heavy wire is actually lighter than the standard chromed SS guides. Good guy, I appreciated his advice in not selling me those even though they are more expensive.

As for colors ... pfff ... don't know yet. I'm open to any suggestion. In the past I've always gone with a color that matches the blank pretty closely. But I do kind of like what Loomis did with the NRX and that sky blue thread, not that I am going to do that. And I dislike gold, there will be not gold trim on my rods!

I think burled rings actually bore alittle easier than regular cork rings. They don't throw off chunks like cork rings sometimes do. I bore all my cork rings with a Dremel. I have a small 80 grit drum sander bit that does a good job on cork. I feel the Dremel is easier than a remer but it's easy to take too much off so be careful. Shaping with a drill setup is fine for cork, just make sure your setup is turning true before you start.

thewalker1013 12-21-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dean_mt (Post 508856)

How about a nice, deep red to go with that beautiful green blank... 'Tis the season, eh?