The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 07:52 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Cork ring options? - flor, select, burl, composite rubber

I really like the rattan grips and have done quiet a few. I also love the look of a full length grip of birch bark.
But if you want to build a nice custom rod, sometimes less is more ( an oxymoron is coming). Golden Witch has a dye you mix with the wood glue when you glue up your grips. But instead of regular thickness cork, you get the jig to slice the the normal cork thinner. I built some grips years ago using the burnt and burled cork. They looked different for the time. I personally don't like them anymore. But that's just my taste. Here's a page from GW.
The Cork Slicing Jig: Golden Witch

On this, scroll down towards the bottom of the page to the earth pigments. Check out the grip in the photo.
http://www.2computerchicks.com/Merch...y_Code=GRIPCRK
Old 01-10-2013, 08:05 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I was afraid I was gonna have to report this thread to the moderators.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:16 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
I really like the rattan grips and have done quiet a few. I also love the look of a full length grip of birch bark.
But if you want to build a nice custom rod, sometimes less is more ( an oxymoron is coming). Golden Witch has a dye you mix with the wood glue when you glue up your grips. But instead of regular thickness cork, you get the jig to slice the the normal cork thinner. I built some grips years ago using the burnt and burled cork. They looked different for the time. I personally don't like them anymore. But that's just my taste. Here's a page from GW.
The Cork Slicing Jig: Golden Witch

On this, scroll down towards the bottom of the page to the earth pigments. Check out the grip in the photo.
Grips & Cork: Golden Witch
Thanks Mojo. I've perused the Goldenwitch site before and was curious about the glue dye. Do you have and experience with it? I wish they had a photo of a finished grip with it...I assume it doesn't stain the cork, just the glue?

I am starting to lean away from using burls as accents, after only a couple weeks of trying to decide how to fit burls into my grip. It is being used so often now on so many factory rods that I'm reconsidering. I still think they can look cool, but I am "anti-fad" to my core.

Now I am seriously considering the 1/8" ring grip. So I'd love to hear from anyone who has used the glue dye and I'd even love more to see what it looks like.

The ring cutting jig: that is what I was thinking about trying to make for myself. Have you ever cut cork and/or burl rings without a bandsaw?

Thanks for the info advice everyone ... still waiting for my seat and guides and I'm getting impatient!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:29 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Dan, the thin dark rings next to the checkered ring, that looks like an 1/8" ring - am I right? That's what I'd like to try to get, an 1/8" dark burl ring. Do you think my idea for a jig would work? Could I make a clean cut with a coping saw or hack saw?
I'm not sure if your idea will work. I can cut them for you if you want. I can put them in an envelope between two pieces of cardboard and they should make it in one piece. I think you already have my number. Give me a ring.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:30 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I'm not sure if your idea will work. I can cut them for you if you want. I can put them in an envelope between two pieces of cardboard and they should make it in one piece. I think you already have my number. Give me a ring.
Put some mayo and lettuce in there, and yummy, yummy!
Dean, I haven't use it before, but I've seen pictures of the grip. You have the lines between the rings from the dye, but the cork is not affected. I'll see if I can dig up some pics. If Dano can cut the cork, take him up on it. Next grip I do, I might try to con him into cutting dome cork down for me.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:28 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Only one problem, reaming a 1/8" ring without breaking it is almost impossible. Give Dan an approximate diameter BEFORE he cuts them down. I fit the whole ring first then slice it.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:47 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Only one problem, reaming a 1/8" ring without breaking it is almost impossible. Give Dan an approximate diameter BEFORE he cuts them down. I fit the whole ring first then slice it.
Good point. I'm going to glue and turn it on a 1/4" rod then ream it to fit.

Thanks for the message, Dan. I guess I better decide on the burl and get it ordered. I'll let you know when I get it it.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:37 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Good point. I'm going to glue and turn it on a 1/4" rod then ream it to fit.

Thanks for the message, Dan. I guess I better decide on the burl and get it ordered. I'll let you know when I get it it.
I miss having a lathe.
wt bash likes this.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Glue all your cork up and then ream it after its dried. I glue it, sand it to the shape I want on a drill, then ream it out.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Glue all your cork up and then ream it after its dried. I glue it, sand it to the shape I want on a drill, then ream it out.
That is my exact plan of attack.