The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rod Building (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rod-building/)
-   -   Thread: nylon or NCP (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rod-building/306794-thread-nylon-ncp.html)

dean_mt 01-01-2013 08:26 PM

Thread: nylon or NCP
 
What do you more experienced builder's prefer and why? I'm not even sure which I've used on my past rods, I know I've never used color preserver and also haven't had issues.

Is there a difference aside from personal preference of the finished look?

Guest1 01-01-2013 10:17 PM

Re: Thread: nylon or NCP
 
I don't really like the NCP thread because it has a weird look to it. Regular thread makes for better colors.

dean_mt 01-01-2013 10:52 PM

Re: Thread: nylon or NCP
 
Thanks Dan.

swirlchaser 01-02-2013 10:40 AM

Re: Thread: nylon or NCP
 
NCP is definately easier to work with but like Dan said, your color choice is limited. I wrap my guides with NCP. My shading work would not be posible unless I use nylon threads.

robert_nguyen 04-08-2013 01:40 AM

Re: Thread: nylon or NCP
 
Depending on certain colors, I will use Color Perserver (pastels and white) for nylon thread. The colors for NCP thread is kinda weird to me and I refuse to use them.

If possible try to load up on gudebrod rod wrapping thread. IMO, they're the best thread out there and might be in trouble again. So get what you can before they disappear again. :(

swirlchaser 04-08-2013 09:39 AM

Re: Thread: nylon or NCP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert_nguyen (Post 544936)
Depending on certain colors, I will use Color Perserver (pastels and white) for nylon thread. The colors for NCP thread is kinda weird to me and I refuse to use them.

If possible try to load up on gudebrod rod wrapping thread. IMO, they're the best thread out there and might be in trouble again. So get what you can before they disappear again. :(

You can have all my GB threads in size A. I've switched to embroidery threads, never looked back :)

dean_mt 04-08-2013 11:37 AM

Re: Thread: nylon or NCP
 
Funny this thread came back to life. Just last week I finally got to put a finish on my wraps and learned another lesson!

I used Fish Hawk tan nylon for the wraps but used Pro Wrap's version of NCP (they don't call it that, but that is what it is) for a light gray tipping at the end of each guide wrap. After the epoxy went on - no color perserver - all the tags of the NCP gray (which looks more white now) are clearly visible under the tan. A bit disappointing.

Does color perserver help keep nylon thread more opaque? Thus in the this situation help hide the tags under the main wrap? I didn't use it because I wanted the main guide wraps to go more translucent and darken the color. I wonder if using all nylon would have hidden the tags?

I was planning on posting some pictures and asking these questions, and I will do that tonight maybe.

I did feel better after looking at some $700 Loomis rods at the store yesterday and seeing all the tag ends and in their trim wraps...they were surprisingly sloppy!

swirlchaser 04-08-2013 12:38 PM

Re: Thread: nylon or NCP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dean_mt (Post 545042)
Funny this thread came back to life. Just last week I finally got to put a finish on my wraps and learned another lesson!

I used Fish Hawk tan nylon for the wraps but used Pro Wrap's version of NCP (they don't call it that, but that is what it is) for a light gray tipping at the end of each guide wrap. After the epoxy went on - no color perserver - all the tags of the NCP gray (which looks more white now) are clearly visible under the tan. A bit disappointing.

Does color perserver help keep nylon thread more opaque? Thus in the this situation help hide the tags under the main wrap? I didn't use it because I wanted the main guide wraps to go more translucent and darken the color. I wonder if using all nylon would have hidden the tags?

I was planning on posting some pictures and asking these questions, and I will do that tonight maybe.

I did feel better after looking at some $700 Loomis rods at the store yesterday and seeing all the tag ends and in their trim wraps...they were surprisingly sloppy!

Yes it does. Two coats of CP will keep nylon threads from going translucent. If you look at the decorative wraps I do they are all with Polyneon embroidery thread. It goes translucent same as Nylon when you don't use CP.

robert_nguyen 04-09-2013 08:35 PM

Re: Thread: nylon or NCP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by swirlchaser (Post 545005)
You can have all my GB threads in size A. I've switched to embroidery threads, never looked back :)


Hmmm..... I've never thought about that. What brand do you use?

swirlchaser 04-10-2013 10:26 AM

Re: Thread: nylon or NCP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert_nguyen (Post 545481)
Hmmm..... I've never thought about that. What brand do you use?

I use Madiera. The color selection is awesome and tons of shades available.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.