The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 08:26 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Thread: nylon or NCP

What do you more experienced builder's prefer and why? I'm not even sure which I've used on my past rods, I know I've never used color preserver and also haven't had issues.

Is there a difference aside from personal preference of the finished look?

Last edited by dean_mt; 01-01-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thread: nylon or NCP

I don't really like the NCP thread because it has a weird look to it. Regular thread makes for better colors.
imxer likes this.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:52 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Thanks Dan.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:40 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

NCP is definately easier to work with but like Dan said, your color choice is limited. I wrap my guides with NCP. My shading work would not be posible unless I use nylon threads.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:40 AM

robert_nguyen is on a distinguished road

Depending on certain colors, I will use Color Perserver (pastels and white) for nylon thread. The colors for NCP thread is kinda weird to me and I refuse to use them.

If possible try to load up on gudebrod rod wrapping thread. IMO, they're the best thread out there and might be in trouble again. So get what you can before they disappear again.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:39 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_nguyen View Post
Depending on certain colors, I will use Color Perserver (pastels and white) for nylon thread. The colors for NCP thread is kinda weird to me and I refuse to use them.

If possible try to load up on gudebrod rod wrapping thread. IMO, they're the best thread out there and might be in trouble again. So get what you can before they disappear again.
You can have all my GB threads in size A. I've switched to embroidery threads, never looked back
Old 04-08-2013, 11:37 AM

Funny this thread came back to life. Just last week I finally got to put a finish on my wraps and learned another lesson!

I used Fish Hawk tan nylon for the wraps but used Pro Wrap's version of NCP (they don't call it that, but that is what it is) for a light gray tipping at the end of each guide wrap. After the epoxy went on - no color perserver - all the tags of the NCP gray (which looks more white now) are clearly visible under the tan. A bit disappointing.

Does color perserver help keep nylon thread more opaque? Thus in the this situation help hide the tags under the main wrap? I didn't use it because I wanted the main guide wraps to go more translucent and darken the color. I wonder if using all nylon would have hidden the tags?

I was planning on posting some pictures and asking these questions, and I will do that tonight maybe.

I did feel better after looking at some $700 Loomis rods at the store yesterday and seeing all the tag ends and in their trim wraps...they were surprisingly sloppy!
Old 04-08-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Funny this thread came back to life. Just last week I finally got to put a finish on my wraps and learned another lesson!

I used Fish Hawk tan nylon for the wraps but used Pro Wrap's version of NCP (they don't call it that, but that is what it is) for a light gray tipping at the end of each guide wrap. After the epoxy went on - no color perserver - all the tags of the NCP gray (which looks more white now) are clearly visible under the tan. A bit disappointing.

Does color perserver help keep nylon thread more opaque? Thus in the this situation help hide the tags under the main wrap? I didn't use it because I wanted the main guide wraps to go more translucent and darken the color. I wonder if using all nylon would have hidden the tags?

I was planning on posting some pictures and asking these questions, and I will do that tonight maybe.

I did feel better after looking at some $700 Loomis rods at the store yesterday and seeing all the tag ends and in their trim wraps...they were surprisingly sloppy!
Yes it does. Two coats of CP will keep nylon threads from going translucent. If you look at the decorative wraps I do they are all with Polyneon embroidery thread. It goes translucent same as Nylon when you don't use CP.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:35 PM

robert_nguyen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
You can have all my GB threads in size A. I've switched to embroidery threads, never looked back

Hmmm..... I've never thought about that. What brand do you use?
Old 04-10-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_nguyen View Post
Hmmm..... I've never thought about that. What brand do you use?
I use Madiera. The color selection is awesome and tons of shades available.