The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 09:18 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Practicality questions....

Never..... pay...... retail. !

There's deals out there. You need to look for them
imxer likes this.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:42 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

I always laugh when I read about any body wanting to save money so they're going to tye their own flies, and build their own rods! Ain't gunna happen! We do it because we can. And we can because we do.

< we did build (on another web site) a most functional, pleasant to look at, two piece fly rod, for under $25. Start to finish. Talk about a hoot!! Not a Sage or Winston by any means, but the feel and action was right up there!>
frogg likes this.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:04 PM

frogg will become famous soon enoughfrogg will become famous soon enough

I build rods because I enjoy it and I can build something no one else has. Most of the rods I build are for donations. These are "One of a kind" rods and I think that matters to the recipient.

Chris
Old 01-17-2013, 02:41 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Not that anyone ever notices this but me, but the no frills rod in this picture cost all of $60 to put together.
Close-out (but quality) blank. Graphite spin rod reel seat. Bottle cork fighting butt.

Click the image to open in full size.
wt bash, williamhj and frogg like this.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:30 PM

brian miville has a spectacular aura aboutbrian miville has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Brian: I agree with your assessment and what William has said about rod building. To me it is more about taking some product and carefully building something very special, just the way you dream it should look and feel, not so much about saving a few dollars. If that is your goal, you would be way ahead at looking at fly rods on EBay and picking up an overstock name brand rod at a substantial discount or a gently used rod again at a very nice discount. Typically the rod makers, when they come out with the latest and greatest rod, they discontinue one of the previous models. Sage for example came out with the One and discontinued the Z-Axis, I snatched up a new Z-Axis 7 wt rod for streamer fishing at a huge discount. Personally, I don't buy new rods at retail, I buy almost all of my rods off EBay whether they are new or not, with the exception of a few rods I have bought off members of this forum who are down sizing their rod collection. Later on I bought a relatively new Sage One 5 wt off EBay, paying $200 below retail. There are plenty of deals to be had if you know what you are looking for. Also if you look carefully there are a number of fly shops dealing on EBay that are doing trade in upgrade programs, they then turn around and sell the rod that you or someone else traded in and stand behind the description of the rod they sell on EBay and usually have a pretty good return policy if not satisfied with the rod's condition as advertised.
Quote:
Never..... pay...... retail. !

There's deals out there. You need to look for them
Oh trust me, I know about deal seeking. I have 2 brand new rigs I got since Christmas. One rod was a gift so does not factor into this. Last year I bought a brand new Konic at retail price. $130. Bought S.A. GPX fly line at retail. $65. This got put on the rod I got as a gift, so that was the only "deal" in all this. The second rig though.....I bought a Redington CT on closeout on Cabela's. Half off. Instead of $150 it was $75. Bought an older model Konic on closeout. $80 instead of the $130 I paid for my other one I bought last year. I just picked up a 3 weight line for said 2nd rig from a member here, brand new, never used, he was thinning the herd. Half off. So all in all the 2nd rig, which is IMHO the nicer rig, I paid LESS for (or, well would have if the first rod had not been a gift ). Of course I need to learn to snap up deals when I can. It was only two weeks after I had bought the Redington on closeout I decided maybe I should get a 6 or 7 wt just in case. Alas, in the span of those two weeks, all those rods except for the 5wt I already owned, and a 4wt, were left for sale.

I guess that is why I decided to ask this question here before actually proceeding with the idea of rod building. While the concept still very much interests me, it does not seem to quite fill the idea I had to begin with in taking it up. I can appreciate what Dan says about it in a given situation being much more cost saving. But I don't think I could ever shell out more than a couple hundred for a rod, blank or not.