The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rod Building

Fly Rod Building Discussions on building fly rods...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 03:57 PM

jeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of lightjeepster II is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Bamboo Addiction

There's all kinds of us cane lovers here. I don't make them I just fish them. Nice rods btw. Now go fish them. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:20 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Bamboo Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome.

wt bash,
I actually pour my finishes. Saves having to keep the dip tube either stocked with fresh Spar, keeping it heated, or the worries about it going off and getting clumpy etc.... Takes about 4 to 5 oz. of Spar thinned 60/40 or 70/30 with mineral spirits to completely finish a rod.

Usually apply a couple of coats of straight Spar over the wraps with a bodkin, until the threads start to smooth out. Then enough coats of thinned Spar varnish until the wraps are completely smooth. Both of these rods have about 6 coats on them.

Pete
That is wicked! I have a dip tank set up and everything but I tried a poured finish on a Banty I built and was really pleased the finish. I didn't wrap the guides on it yet at that time but I think I might try it on the next one. Thanks